I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flocking Trouble
Posted by: Skip James (---.ct.charter.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 08:43AM

Last evening I noticed that the flocking fibers were coming off of a handle that I had flocked last Sunday afternoon. Upon further inspection I found that the adhesive was still "tacky" and had not set up hard over the entire cork handle & foregrip. I previously sealed the handle with U40 Cork Seal 3-4 days in advance and it had dried as usual. I was able to remove all of the adhesive on the handle. The shop temp gets into the 90s during the day. I stirred the adhesive prior to applying. I have flocked handles before and never had this happen although the ambient temp was cooler. Any input?

Thanks,

Skip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flocking Trouble
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2005 08:57AM

I don't really have an answer for you. The adhesive should dry within a day or so. I assume you are using the urethane adhesive sold by Donjer?

I doubt temperature had much to do with anything - higher temps and/or humidity should only contribute to a quicker drying time.

I think I'd put some adhesive on a test stick and monitor it for several days. If it doesn't set dry to the touch in a day or so I'd toss it and get some more. But it's unusual that such a thing would go bad on you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 09:55AM

If it is bad -- call your supplier and get a new one --for free

Posted by: Skip James (---.ct.charter.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 10:38AM

I did use the color matched adhesive that came with the Donjer kit. I have 5 or 6 colors in stock (all purchased within the last 8 months). I suppose I should do a test , as tom suggested, on each of the other colored adhesives I have also to determine if the issue is isolated to one can before I contact the manufacturer. This was the first use from this can (brown) which was purchased @ 3 months ago.

Thanks,

Skip

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 10:43AM

Tom is right. Test first to see if it is bad

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 19, 2005 09:33PM

What color adhesive? Flock will come off for a long time if you did it correctly and blew a lot of excess on to the piece being covered. I normally let mine sit for five days before is vacuum off and brush lightly with a fine bristled paint brush. After a week if will take a masking tape that has light sticking power like a painters masking edge and wrap the entire piece. When you remove the take some flocking will come off stuck to the sticky side of the tape. I want to be sure that none of the loose material comes off on the customers hands after he accepts the rod.

I had some gold adhesive that would not completely dry for almost two weeks and never had a real good explanation. If you will compare some of the colors of adhesives you will typically find that the black is a much more viscous product than some of the other colors. There does appear to be a difference in the drying time of the various colors.

I will pose this question to Donjer - is the adhesive for nylon and rayon flock the same product or could it be different. I am aware that rayon fibers are not supposed to be used on rods but I did end up with some by an ordering mistake, purple and gold do not come in nylon! Foiled again!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2005 03:27PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Italo Busi (---.44-151.net24.it)
Date: August 21, 2005 12:41PM

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, and I would like tell to everyone CIAO.
Well, me too have the same problems with the blue glue from Donjer. The question is : may be that the glue expire ?
I tried it in a grip, and after 3 days it is not completly hard.
Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster