I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

printing decals
Posted by: John Ridderbos (---.dslglue.ctsmail.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 08:03AM

The other night I found some testors model decal paper on clearance. I picked it up thinking I could make some decals to apply to rods. Does anyone know of a website with graphics for doing this type of thing? I am thinking of taking the logo from my favorite nfl team and sizing it to fit on a theme rod. Any suggestions?

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: printing decals
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 08:25AM

John you can certainly try, but if you are going to be using some make of an ink-jet printer, then you are going to find you will have to apply your decal to a white background (on the rod) either painted or thread to have it look as it does on the paper.

When I was messing around with decal paper and ink jets, I could never get a decal to come out to my satisfaction without putting it on a background to match the blank, then applying it over either white thread or paint on the blank.

Also found, ink jet ink fades very quick when exposed to UVs.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: August 18, 2005 08:46AM

My father in law is a professional photgrapher and has a printer that he actually prints his photos on, would that be a better printing option? I am assuming his is a laser jet or something like that, not a plain ink printer.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 10:04AM

A laser Jet is just a particular name for ink jet. It also will fade fairly quickly

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 10:47AM

Save yourself the trouble and check out Decal Connection

Date: August 18, 2005 11:21AM

I am not sure decal connection can do what I want done , but I have not asked either.

Date: August 18, 2005 12:09PM

They can do just about anything (and very well), except copyrighted logo's which are illegal to reproduce.

Mike

Date: August 18, 2005 12:24PM

I want a detroit lions logo on a rod, which would be copyrighted. Although, he does have two pics in his photo gallery, one of the raiders logo and one of the nebraska logo.

john

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.189.55.---)
Date: August 18, 2005 01:53PM

John,
I have messed with a variety of different techniques for making decals but the Decal Connection is so inexpensive, fast and they do such a nice job that it just does not make sense to screw around trying to do it yourself. As far as making a decal of the logo of your favorite NFL team is concerned, the logos are copyrighted which means that without permission it is against the law to copy them, as Mike said above, and I do not think that the Decal Connection will do that. You can certainly use the colors that the team uses to wrap the rod and I do not think that the team names are copy righted but I would not use the same phont for the name as the team uses.

Date: August 18, 2005 01:54PM

John, if you find one, please let me know where!!!! I am a diehard Lions fan. Where are you from? I doubt any one will make one without licensing or written permission.

Mike

Date: August 18, 2005 02:18PM

Mike, I am from Kalamazoo, also a diehard lions fan. I was thinking about trying to make my own decal using the testors paper. I wonder if you contact the front office if they would give use permission for personal use?

John

Date: August 18, 2005 02:52PM

John,

Try giving them a call. The most they can do is say no (offer to make a Lions rod for Mooch!! As long as you aren't selling them, they might say yes!). Your e-mail address is hidden. Go to your profile at the top of the messages and verify your e-mail. That will make it available when someone clicks on your name. I am in Southgate (just south of Detroit on the river) Shoot me an E-mail at mbarkley@wowway.com. Me & the "Whoopin' Stick are leaving for Fletcher's Pond in a couple of hours but will be back Monday.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2005 02:55PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.119.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 03:18PM

It would indeed be illegal for Decal Connection to furnish you with a trademarked logo, without permission, and technically it would probably be illegal for you to make one yourself. However, practically I don't think you would have any trouble at all if you make one yourself. You are only making it for personal use, not making any money off it., so they would really have much reason to come after you. On the other hand, if you were making a lot of money selling their property, it would be a different story. Unless you told the NFL, they wouldn't even know you had done this.
Steve Broadwell
www.bcrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster