I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help choosing specialty rod blanks for Bass
Posted by: Gary Hern (---.217.203.195.charter-stl.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 09:59AM

Hi all,

I used to enjoy the art of rod making many years back. I have since got out of it but the desire has set in to build myself some customs. I could use some help in making choices in good blanks, but don't have a local shop that caters to rod builders to help me out. I'll have to order over the internet. I do not have to have the best, but would like a very good quality light rod. I'll be custom building wood split handles and using Titanium Sics and Titans.

I want to build 5 specific rods.

1) jig/worm rod - I like a fast tip and will be fishing mostly 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz. with a trailer. Preferably 6' 8" - 6' 10". I can trim a 7' to make the desired length.

2) Split shot rod - any help on this one would be appreciated! This is new to me.

3) Flipping rod - 7'6" - 8' I would like to build one with a faster tip than the ones that come off the shelf. I'll use this for some C-rigging so I don't want a super fast tip and pitching too which a faster tip I feel will will help.

4) Cranking rod for larger deep diving baits - At least 6' 6" but preferrably 7'. I don't necessarily have to have pure fiberglass because I want something lighter and with some more sensitivity. I'd rather know what my bait was doing. I've taught myself to hold off on hooksets.

5) Short topwater rod - Something like 5' or 5'6", medium action fast tip to work twitch baits and lures like pop-r's.

I don't know where to ask these questions and you guys although it looks more like a fly rod site look to be the best I've found on the internet. I would appreciate any help. I'm lost with the new technologies out there and without a pro shop to discuss things, I don't have any idea of what to buy. Price range? I know some of these won't be super expensive, but I don't mind spending $150 or so for a really good blank for the flipping and worm/jig rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help choosing specialty rod blanks for Bass
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 10:38AM

First two that I think of is Rainshadow/Forecast and St Croix.

We do it all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2005 10:44AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: August 18, 2005 10:50AM

here would be my suggestions.

1. St Croix SCIV 4C68MXF. I love this blank for pitching small worms and jigs

2. I would probably use one of the St Croix blanks in that same series but in a medium light power with a fast tip. The one I would pick is actually listed under their casting blanks 4C69MLXF.

3. For this one I would go to the ST Croix SCIII series. Depending on the line size, there are 2 with the teloscopic handle that would work.

4. Again, ST Croix SCIII 3C70MHM or SCIV 4S70MHM. I built the SCIV one myself for larger crankbaits and love it.

5. I would suggest the St Croix SCIII 3C56MF. I don't use a blank that short for top water myself

If you go to the St Croix site with the link to the left, you will be able to find these blanks and all the specs on them.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.147.9-243.newsouth.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 01:13PM

Gary,
Here are some I like.

1. Jig worm - most rods companies have a good blank for this. I like a Rogue 704MHM (more moderate tip) but the 703 or 704 would work if yoy prefer a faster tip.

2. Split shot - depends on power you want. Shikari P7000 is a good light (4-6 pound line) and the P701 and P702 move uthe power scale. The 7000 has a really light tip which many say is excellent for drop shot.

3. Flipping blank - My choice and recommend you look hard at this is the Shikari FS764 in the SHII. You cah get this in 8' also one piece or telescope.

4. Cranker - for medium to larger baits, in glass the Seeker BS706S, make sure to get the "S" glass version. In graphite I built and really like the new St Croix 7' 4S70MHM (and the 3S70MHM). Nice MH power and light weight to boot.

5. Shortie?? No clue.

5 of these are in my rod locker now so I know they work. And none will break your budget, most are less than $100.

Enjoy!
BT

Posted by: dave schaub (38.112.169.---)
Date: August 18, 2005 05:48PM

I like the selections that Mike and Bill suggested. The scary part is that I also have and use most of the ones they suggest so you cant go wrong there with either of them. I would also look at the G Loomis blanks. I use several and they are excellent, especially for carolina rigging. Many of the companies to the left carry GLoomis blanks.
One further suggestion, I would not use such a short rod for the top water.
I use a 6'6'' with medium action which works great. I have two right now that I like. I have a GLoomis series IV and I have a Tiger Eye blank that I just built. Both are really good for smaller top water lures. The key for me is to get a Medium action. Most of us bass guys want broom sticks but actually for the cranks and topwaters, a medium will work great....but it needs to be in at least a 6'0'' to 7'0" size to be effective and to get the casting distance you want.
FYI--there are a lot of bass fishermen who use this board. A large number of them like me go both ways and fish bass and fly. There also are a fair number of saltwater types. I have yet to see a question that there wasnt at least a half dozen guys who could give you good advice. This is the best site on the internet for rodbuilders of almost any type.
Good luck
Dave

Date: August 18, 2005 09:00PM

I have stepped down considerably on power for all my rods and I know what you mean by the broom handle bunch. I didn't think I'd run into much of that on a custom buidling site. The shorty is a special application rod. I fish lots of tournaments on Lake of the Ozarks which is loaded with docks. One of the better patterns for fall fishing is topwater along the docks. I have the 6'6" topwater rods I currently use but need one that is shorter because of the tight spaces. I'm not so worried about casting distance with this rod as most casts will be 25' to 30' tops. I actually have one cut down to 4' that I use for slingshotting under docks and it works great! ;-) I appreciate all the advice. Bill, the generalization of Rainshadow/Forecast doesn't help someone as green as I. I don't know how to read each individual companies strength factors and tip speed much less be able to compare actions to other companies rods. The last time I built rods (20 some years), Fenwicks were the standard.

One thing I don't understand. Not a single person has advised one of the higher end G Loomis GLX, St. Croix SCV's or the high end Shikari. I wouldn't mind spending the money on one or two of these (jig/worm & flipping) because I use them so much, if they truly are the better choice but won't if you all feel it's not necessary.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: August 19, 2005 07:16AM

I don't think you need to go to the St Croix SCV's for a great blank. The SCIV's will do you just fine. As for myself, I do not see the need to go to the high end G Loomis blanks when others out there will do just as well and cost less. I have to agree with Bill on a couple of those Shikari blanks as well, they make a fine blank.

Posted by: David Green (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:44AM

I have built bass rods on the following blanks

#1 jig/worm rod -
Shikäri PMB 704 (7'0" Hvy. fast tip) with split grip no fore grip spiral wrapped. Excellent blank light and very sensitive.
St.Croix 3C70MHF (7'0" MedHvy fast tip) with split grip no fore grip spiral wrapped. Another great blank light and sensitive.

#2 don't split shot anymore haven't used one of these since I left the west coast. Back then I they were on the old Kunan (sp?) Rods.

#3 Flippin - My clients have been after my St.Croix 3C70HF build (7'0" Hvy fast tip). Split Grip no fore grip spiral wrapped neutral balanced point to the reel.

#4 St.Croix 3C70MHM Crankbait (7'0" MedHvy MOD tip) have built quite a few. Light and very sensitive you will really feel the bait.

#5 for my 5'6" rods I did use the AllStar 5'6" med fast, but we all know how that went. So now I build the short dock rods on the St.Croix 3C56MF (5'6" med fast tip) pistol grip with/out fore grip spiral wrapped. Use them for weightless soft plastic jerk baits (zulu's), chug bugs, popr's etc.

Tight Wraps
DG Rod Works

Posted by: dave schaub (38.112.169.---)
Date: August 19, 2005 02:55PM

I should have guessed, Gary, that you had some special reason for wanting a short topwater rod. I personally dont fish boat docks a lot so I didnt even think about that as the reason. I would likewise use a 5'6" St Croix with a fast or extrafast tip and a moderate butt.
I also agree with Mike that you dont have to go to the V's to get a great rod. I really like the moderate modulus rods better than the high modulus. I just like the way they feel and I dont see that much difference in performance. I love the rods I have built and usually do what you are doing in that I define what I want the rod to do and then go find the rod that fits it the best. The Tiger Eye casting rod is a perfect example. I have built several for friends/clients because they are really pretty and lend themselves to all kinds of decorative wraps that go well with the blank color. But, the rods really work well and I like the way that they feel. These blanks are extremely economical to buy. They are so cheap you can actually afford to experiment with different actions and lengths for the best application fit. I love them.
I also have a lot of my old buddies who use and customers who still request the broom sticks! I had a guy ask for a 7'6" extra heavy pitching stick not long ago. I got him the stiffest rod I could find and he said that was just what he wanted. The butt on it was over 0.76" with a size 8 tip top. You could hardly bent it at all. He could almost use it for a stand up tuna rod!!
I hope you find what you want. You might read some of the library topics above if it has been a while. There is actually so much information available that you wont believe it. All you have to do is look for it or ask someone where to go look. As they say, there is always someone willing to tell you where to go!
Best of luck
Dave

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 19, 2005 03:13PM

Nobody recommended the Loomis because Loomis hates Rodbuilders, so we return the favor and hate them, lol. They are no longer Loomis anyhow, take your pick: Shimoomis, or Loomano - that's what they should be called.

Once you get familiar with a particular company, you can kind of get the feel for the blanks without handling them. It does take a while, and it will take a lot of pulling on various rods, but eventually all teh numbers & letters will start making sense & you'll have a decent idea of what you're buying without touching the blank.

Date: August 19, 2005 09:01PM

Bill Tune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gary,
> 2. Split shot - depends on power you want.
> Shikari P7000 is a good light (4-6 pound line) and
> the P701 and P702 move uthe power scale. The 7000
> has a really light tip which many say is excellent
> for drop shot.

Ok, I have been investigating these blanks on the Shakari website. The only P7000 I have found is in the SHII model. But, it appears to have a 6 - 12 pound rating. I see a similar rod in the SHIII model with the lettering IP7000 but it also has the 6 - 12 pound rating?

On another note, I have been going through different sponsoring websites but can't find one that supplies everything I need. I have always like dealing with one supplier if possible. If this is not an option, I'll do what I need to. Can any of you recommend a supplier? Also, is Shakari sold only through their website?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: August 20, 2005 12:52PM

Shikari makes the P 7000 33 mil graphite, IP7000 IM6, and the PP7000 in SHX all are great blanks, also G Loomis makes a blank same number, same action in their popping rod blanks. The 2 power popping rod blank made by just about anyone ( at least the half dozen I've tried) makes a fine dropshot, finesse, smallmouth bass and bonefish rod. All have been faster actioned than the 3 or 4 power popping blanks. Have also caught steelhead and coho salmon on spinners with all these blanks, very versatile blanks for many purposes.
Mike and Bill made some fine choices on the rest.
The G Loomis C 662 has always been my favorite short topwater blank, but I don't know if you can get the blank anymore. They have opened thing up blankwise so it might be available.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster