I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pencil popper rod
Posted by: Dan Colville (209.37.134.---)
Date: August 10, 2005 04:56PM

Hey guys. My buddy said i must have a 1 piece rod for using a pencil poppers because the top half will spin around. Is this true and is there anything to prevent this. Also for heavy salt rods (5-8 ounces) would a 2 piece be ok or would you do a 1.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pencil popper rod
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 05:37PM

2 piece is fine. No 2 piece rod should turn around!! Unless it is a spinning rod, you might want to consider the "bumper" spiral wrap. Amazing stability when fighting fish!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 07:09PM

It's not the fish fighting which causes a problem, it's the way teh rod is violently pumped and shook when retrieving the popper which causes the problem.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 07:26PM

Oops!! That's not what I assumed it was! Sorry

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 07:41PM

Well I use a two piece for pencil poppers and have NEVER had a problem!
Was out three hours yesterday shaking away and my connection stayed tight.
Just use common sense.....check the tightness every now and then and you should have no problems either.
I also through 10 oz with a two piece...no problems there either.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 10, 2005 10:39PM

Cheap ferrules may well slip around. Most good tip over butt ferrules shouldn't. However, make sure you assemble them correctly - mis-align tip and butt by 90 degrees and bring together snugly, then with some force, twist them together and into alignment.

To dis-assemble, do the reverse.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2005 01:28AM

I use 2 piece rods for throwing poppers and all other lures. Never had a loose ferrule. For a conventional rod I'd definitely recommend using the Bumper Style Spiral Wrap. The bigger the Striper; the more you'll love that configuration.
Dave

Posted by: Dan Colville (209.37.134.---)
Date: August 11, 2005 11:06AM

I dont know if you guys have ever used a pencil popping rod but you put the rod in you waist and shake the rod. It is not the same as a regular popper. Thanks for all the replies.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 01:17AM

Dan,
A well constucted ferrule joint which is seated properly as Tom K. described above should not separate. I periodically check my ferrule connection no matter what I am throwing; especially with pencil poppers for the reason you mention. This is one of the reasons I choose high quality blanks and rods for surfcasting. The surf is definitely one of the harshest environments for fishing gear and shaking to rod could be a problem with lower grade blanks. I've been using a Loomis 1266S for both lures and wieght + bait. Never has it separated. My next surf build will be a dedicated plugging rod. I'm planning on the Lamiglas Ron Arra 9' - 2pc. If you are interested in a Lami blank contact me for a source which is offering them at reduced prices.
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster