I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Amer. Tackle Matrix rod handle
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: August 04, 2005 03:11PM

Has anyone tried the Am. Tackle Matrix rod handle? Looks cool and am thinking of putting it on a St. Croix travel spin rod blank (green in color).
How is the grip-a-bility (sp?:) ) on this handle when wet.
Is is noticably heavier than cork
Does the finish hold up well to salt water
Does it transfer vibration well (bite dectection)? At least better than cork?
I assume you can shim it with foam brick arbors?

Thanks,
Buzz Butters

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amer. Tackle Matrix rod handle
Date: August 04, 2005 03:25PM

I did read the July 26th 2005 about this grip by the way.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 04, 2005 03:35PM

Date: August 04, 2005 03:46PM

Geez Billy, that about covers it.
Thanks

Buzz

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 03:59PM

I have looked at and held the handles, and have about 5 ft of the tubing. I bought the tubing for Tenn. handles, but is larger diameter then what I normally use, and am not comfortable with that. As far as bite detection I have 3 rods with graphite Tenn. handles that i've been using for years. the last I built being a drop shot rod. and with out a doubt is the most sensative rod I have . The blank on it was a cheap blank. So I know the feel comes from the handle I even took this rod to Dion Hibdon to look at, and his responce was " I can feel every thing". As far as grip. I have been using this style for at least 15 years, and that has nerver been a problem. I have fished many days in the rain and would consider the grip to be as good or better then cork. I don't know how it will hold up in salt water, but the finish is the same type of finish that you find on blanks, so should hold up just as well. The only thing I don't like about the bait casting handle is the triger it'self. It's more of a round style then the narower wide type. For me it's iritating. Feels like I have something stuck between my fingers instead of an extension of the handle.

Date: August 04, 2005 04:02PM

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate your input.
Buzz

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2005 04:06PM

They're very light, appear to snug up quite well on the reel foot and look great. As far as how "slippery" they are when wet, well, slipperly is as much a matter of shape as surface. Anybody that can handle a TN handle made with a graphite tube won't have any problem with these, and with casting seats, you do have that trigger. Frankly, I don't find them much if any more slippery than other straight taper grips of cork or firm EVA.

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2005 04:42PM

Hi Buzz,

A wet handle is not problem. Just try wetting it and pulling it out of someone's hand. I believe you will find it lighter than cork or equivalent. The finish is epoxy just like on a blank so there is no problem with saltwater. It is a hollow ridged graphite tube so it will transfer vibrations better than any cork or EVA handle both of which dampen vibrations.

I hope that helps.

Warmest Regards,

American Tackle Company, Inc.
Joe Meehan
President
+1-508-432-7735
Fax: +1-508-432-6377
email: joe@americantackle.us
Web site: [americantackle.us]

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: August 04, 2005 04:49PM

When mounting it on the arbors, leave space between them. It creates a sound chamber that really amplifies the bites. For the Tenn handles I have made, which were like 12" long or so, I used 3 arbors, 1 on each end and 1 in the middle.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 05:02PM

I've made a 6"6" with a fast matrix rod and a matrix handle and love it - its my favorite and best looking rod . It doesnt slip and sensitvity is awesome, however I fish mostly for freshwater bass and more with the hand on the reel and foregrip (I love the samller matrix foregrip) than on the handle, until I'm reeling it in.

Date: August 04, 2005 05:18PM

I do not have the Vetre Matrix handle, but I do have a rod with regular carbon fiber tubing for the grips. I personally find it very uncomfortable since it is so hard, and will be covering the piece behind the reel seat where my hand goes with cork. I cut 15" off the butt of my rod, extended 18" with a piece of 15mm tubing, ECSM over that, adn 2 larger pieces of Woven tubing as a split grip. Grip was extended with 5" of overlap on teh end of teh blank, with graphite arbors, and this really kept the weight of the rod down to a bare minimum. The claims of super sensitivity - I cannot tell why the rod is more sensitive, but it certainly is. I did use a lighter blank with TI guides vs my other rods which have Alconites on them & cork handles, and all weigh 2 1/2 ounces more. Whatever the case, the rod is super sensitive, actually too sensitive as I had to really adjust when I swing on a fish. But I love the rod & the grips, and wouldn't hesitate to use them again

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 09:30PM

Steve,
Interested in selling the 5 ft piece you are not happy with?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: August 04, 2005 11:23PM

Raymond
sent you personal email about 5' piece

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 11:31PM

Got it Steve,
Get my reply?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Weight
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 02:32AM

You inquired about weight. I did too a while back. Assuming you're talking about the Vertex handle.

From memory, I think the whole assembly (not including the bushing) ran something like 2.6 ounces or so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's the stat I got from the sellers.

I'm not sure what traditional cork with seat weigh. I was looking for Tennessee Cork which is only about .8 ounces so the Vertex handle is about 3 times as much as the pure cork tennessee.

Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mo

Date: August 05, 2005 09:10AM

Mo - Based on some measurements I've taken, I would guess that 2.6oz for teh total handle assembly is about right. Most Fuji reel seats weigh around the 1oz mark, and a 20" piece of tubing weighs about the same. 2.6 sounds right.

Unfortunately, I do not have teh weight of cork, becasue it is hard to get an accurate weight because each grip I have is a different size & different OD & ID.

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2005 06:58PM

Hi Mo,

Did that Tennessee handle assembly include a reel seat?

Joe

Date: August 08, 2005 07:27PM

There is no reel seat with a Tennessee handle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster