I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL spinning rod seats/grips
Posted by: Rick Heintz (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2005 04:52PM

Greetings. I'm looking for suggestions for appropriate reel seats for 5 1/2 foot ultralight spinning rods. I'm not fond of sliding rings, so I want an actual threaded seat. The only thing I'm seeing is Fuji's 'light spin' graphite seat, but am unsure if that is even the right size. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL spinning rod seats/grips
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 05:48PM

Size? I assume you are asking about ID? I would say a 15mm would
be what you are looking for.

Good luck Rick and have fun!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: July 17, 2005 07:57PM

Depends on what size seat is comfortable for you. Probably a size 16 DPS style seat. I'd suggest a size 16 skeleton with a cork insert. If that's too small, step up to size 17.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 09:05PM

Hard to beat the St Croix SG-10 grip kit for what you want, it's a great value. Mudhole and others have them.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.msn.com)
Date: July 17, 2005 10:29PM

Rick

Here's something you might try:

I don't like the sliding rings either but I like the comfort and feel of the cork. None of my fresh water spinning rods have the reel seats with threaded hoods. If I'm making a rod for myself, I use the cork grip minus the rings and fix the reel into position using tape. I use one wrap of the 3/4" wide packaging tape that is reinforced with the strands of nylon and then overwrap it with the black, fabric "friction tape." I promise the reel will never pull off. Don't use the plastic electricians tape - it gets soft and pliable in hot weather.

Of course if you're making the rod for someone this may not be your first choice.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: July 18, 2005 07:05AM

I use UL spinning rods for all my fishing. Their are three handle configurations that I like. 8" tennessee handle with the reel taped on. 8" tennessee handle with a small fuji plate seat. Regular handle with a fuji 20# reel seat. I can't stand the feel of a small graphite reel seat. I use the same size seat for UL rods that I would use on a salt water rod, because I use the same hand to hold both.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster