I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Fishing Rods???
Posted by: Mike Kyle (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: June 26, 2005 05:32PM

Ok fellas, im a Florida native so that should tell you what I know about ice fishing and the equipment. I want to build a rod for my father inlaw and dont really know what I need. I searched through some catologs and decided on a M/L ST Croix 24" blank. What kind of guides do I use? How many? Placements of them? How are the graphite type buts compared to the solid cork? Which is better to use? These are just some of the questions. I can build a mean insore saltwater rod but totally dumb on this type of fishing. Any help or tips will help a guy out for sure!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Fishing Rods???
Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: June 26, 2005 10:43PM

Mike,what species of fish does he target? I have built on that blank for walleye jigging. As far as handles go in my opinion the graphite tube is as good as the cork, also a little less work. Jann,s has the 6 inch for about 10 bucks. I usually use 3 to 4 guides plus tip top after i check the blank out. Fishing in a coop or out in the elements? Would have to know that before deciding on the guide style and sizes. Ice rods are a fun build. John

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: June 27, 2005 09:39AM

Mike - I'm building several rods on that blank right now, as well as the 24" UL blank. The m/l blank will make a great perch rod or light action walleye rod. The 24" UL is a phenomenal bluegill and crappie rod. I'm using spinning rod guides - 12/8/6 with a fly rod top that I got from Neal's - he has them in size 2.5 to fit those rods. I can't stand the SS304 guides/tops that St. Croix sells to go with the blanks. I chose those guide sizes to balance weight with function - too much has been written about needing large guides on ice rods. Maybe oldschool icefishermen needed large guides, but the modern, mobile, well equipped icefisher is best served by the lightest, most responsive rod he/she can get. Like John said though, for a guy fishing only outside, perhaps a bit larger guide size would be ok. I alternate between fishing out of a one man shack or outside, jumping from hole to hole. For spacing, I copied one of the factory Avids (24") that I have - but I moved the butt guide a couple inches towards the tip, the factory placement is too close to the handle. As far as handles go - the graphite handles are a real personal thing - some like them, some hate them - maybe see if he has an opinion? I personally don't care for them - I'm building my own handles out of cork I got from Donart - it comes with no hole bored, so I'm boring to 1/8" and CAREFULLY turning my own handles. 1/8 mandrel is pretty small, so it's tricky, but I think worth it. The biggest challenge you will find is wrapping those small guides on such a tiny diameter blank - takes practice, but if I can do it, anybody can!!

Date: June 27, 2005 02:07PM

Thanks a bunch for your replies fellas.
I believe he fishes for panfish and walley. He lives in southern MN so whatever they have there. I believe he fishes in a house of some sorts. I know he likes to sit down with a nice warm brandy while fishing. ;) Thanks again! I will try and order the components you guys sugested this week sometime.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.105.---)
Date: June 27, 2005 03:10PM

I live in Ice Fishing land, so to speak. I like a 28" rod and usually only put on 3 guides and a tip(less weight = more sensitive and less to ice up). I usually use slightly bigger guides than a normal mainly cuz they don't ice up as fast(you don't get real even heat in some ice houses). I am a med lite kinda guy for walleyes you need some light enough for the light bite and enough backbone to sink the hook.

Date: June 27, 2005 08:37PM

10-4 Thanks!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 02:27AM

Hi Mike; good to hear from you again.

If he fishes in the coop, he'll like that shorter rod.

If he wanders across the ice (have auger, will travel is my motto) like I do, my back just gets to killing me in the cold with those short rods. I use a 4' tip section from a fly rod and then I can fish standing up, jigging and resting the tip of the rod on the ice without bending over. I use a spring bobber for baits under 1/8 oz. Great bite detector. If he uses the spring bobber, be sure and wrap one on the end for him.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: June 28, 2005 03:24PM

You too Randy! I have been very busy with guiding, its the season for me now. I need to get back in rod build mod. ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster