I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The lightest fly rod blank
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: June 26, 2005 08:02PM

I know of the Sage 00 blank, and the 6'10/7' Dan Craft 1 wt. Or there any other blanks out there nearly as light as the Sage? How does the Dan Craft compare? (I know CC would fix this problem).

I'm looking for the lightest fly rod for tiny streams and Ultra-fine leaders in Japan... for Amago and Yamame trout, as well as Iwana. None get over 10 inches in native streams, which are crystal clear and see a lot of pressure. If I remember right tippets went down to .25 of a lb test. Pretty extreme stuff. I bought a 2wt from Cabelas, 6'6 PT, but its much stiffer than I expected, would like to build something much lighter to get as much fight as possible and provide cushion for the tiny leaders and flies. Plus, the Sage is like Oh my god expensive at $375 or so for the blank alone.

Thanks,
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The lightest fly rod blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2005 11:35PM

My Dan Craft 1 wt CCd at 1.08, another at 1.6, both had a med fast tip so I think you will be ok. Mine throws just backing pretty well. Bill Byrd at byrdultrafly.com specializes in fishing just about everything on ultralight fly rods, he may have some good insights.

Date: June 27, 2005 12:20AM

Thanks for the info Spencer. Which one of the two blanks CC'd at 1.08, short or long? Or were they the same?

Everything I've heard of the Sage sure sounds awesome. Just a lot of money to put down.

Phil

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: June 27, 2005 01:29AM

Hi Phil--can't comment on the Sages as I haven't tried one yet, but like you have heard positive feedback from competent casters. I would guess Spencer's 1.X ERNs came from the FRSIII61013...I've CC'd a number of these and everyone came in at 1 point something. The 701-2 has consistently come in aroung 2.97-3.12, making it a little more of a 2wt in terms of shorter casts...still casts/feels fantastic with a 1wt line, though!

Hope this is helpful!

Take me to Japan to test it and the blank's on me! ;)

Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.158.---)
Date: June 27, 2005 02:22AM

Another that you might look at is the Elkhorn (www.elkhornrods.com) 701-2. This is an extremely soft little rod. I've had three and they CC between 1.4 and 2.2, and with a bit slower action than the comparable Dan Crafts.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Date: June 27, 2005 02:33AM

Thanks John. The 00 seems like a sweet blank, but seems to be in short supply and pricey, so looking for a close alternative.

I'll be in Japan for three years, whenever you feeling like coming over, plane tickets start at about 600 and you've got a place to stay at my place! :)

Phil

Date: June 27, 2005 04:33AM

Scott- Very reasonably priced blanks.... will check into as well. Thanks.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: June 27, 2005 09:46AM

Phil. My lightest rod and reel comes in at 1 oz. and casts backing. In my experience, the lightest you can go is to get a multipiece Dan Craft and start dropping sections. My newest is a 5 of 6 piece from Dan. Weighs .9 oz (6' 10") and balances with the 1.6 oz. Forbes. Olaf Borge has some WF1 silk lines on sale, or you could try one of the Sage QTs. Of course, Dan's ONE is extremely versatile. The Japanese tend to like really long blanks for some reason, by report. Personally, I think a 6 foot rod handles better in the lighter line weights. It feels delicate. The 00 Sage is huge by comparison.

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: June 27, 2005 10:03AM

Phil,

try to get your hands on a 2003 Forecast 804-3. I have one and it is SOFT. I forget where it CC's, but I fish it with 8X fairly often and never feel like I'm going to break it. I don't know if the newer models are different from the old for action and power, but the old ones will do what you want. Super light too.

Thanks
Rick

Posted by: Dewey Linski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 27, 2005 10:29AM

Take a look at the Gatti FRLW-3TA Blanks very light, and can cast out alot of line. Dewey Linski

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2005 11:04AM

Both the rods were FRSIII61013 blanks as John mentioned, had to chop up some pennies to get measurements close on the light blanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2005 12:48PM

Phill,

Give Dan a call. I was talking to him on Saturday as I ordered one of his clearance blanks. He told me he had a blank in his Sig IV graphite that was rated as an 0/1.

Mark

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 27, 2005 09:30PM

The Gatti FRLW 7' 2 wt is about 0.6 oz or about the same as the Sage TXL series blanks which includes the 00. The Gatti is a fast action blank high performance blank, and very delicate so maybe not what you're looking for. They're pricey too at $200 for the blank. The sage TXL 00 is about $250 not $375 if you live in the US that is. Both are funky non-traditional colors. Weight is not much of an issue with short rods as they are all very light in my opinion. With a 9 footer it's a whole different story. I'm ordering one of those DC 6' 10" blanks FROM DAN for myself. I picked up a Rio Pocket Water 1wt from Sierra Trading Post on Clearance and a Bass Pro Shops 2.2 oz reel as recommended on this forum. Should be fun with the local brookies!

good luck,

Tony

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2005 09:48PM

Thanks everyone, definitely gave me some options to look at. I think the 375 was for the kit with components.

Not worried about weight as much as action and fish fightin fun, plus the capability of not breaking 7x leaders like I can with my current 2wt.

Phil

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: June 28, 2005 08:42AM

Phil,

What is your current 2 wt that we're comparing with, the PT from cabelas?

If you like that length and weight then the 6'6" pac bay tradition is pretty slow and very forgiving. It is a totally different rod from the Rainshadow RX7 which has about the same feel as your cabelas. Also, don't forget that Angler's Workshop has the chalkstream light series of rods. They are really lightweight and are supposed to have slow actions. Haven't fished one but that will be the next one I build myself.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 10:09PM

Thanks all for the great info. Yes, I was comparing the 2wt PT from Cabelas. After talking to Dan from Dan Craft, I think I have settled on one of his blanks, the 0/1wt 6pc 7foot 3inch Sig 4. The ability to have an extra section made and use it either as a 7foot3inch or 6 foot something rod was the deal breaker. I really look forward to seeing the blank, just hope its a lot lighter than my PT, but the PT is such an inexpensive rod that I guess I should not have expected so much anyway I guess.

Thanks again, will be asking more questions when the time comes to build this thing.

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster