I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shelf life of epoxy finish?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.lax.megapath.net)
Date: June 09, 2005 02:41PM

I built my first rod two years ago, and I have now just finished wrapping a new rod. When I pulled out my epoxy finish (U-40 LS Supreme), the Hardener had turned an amber color. I mixed a small sample, and it also turned out amber. Can anything be done to salvage this epoxy? I can purchase Flex Coat locally, and will do so later this afternoon, however, I want to know if the LS Supreme can be saved, or should it simply be discarded? Thanks for any help!
Tight lines,
Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shelf life of epoxy finish?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2005 02:52PM

Indefinite life span- it will not go bad in your lifetime. The hardeners in all epoxies turn amber over time, Flex Coat will certainly do so as well. But the thickness that you will apply to a guide wrap is not very thick and any ambering is not going to be noticeable. On very, very light colored theads you may notice it somewhat, but other than that, you won't have a problem with it.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.140.125.adsl.snet.net)
Date: June 09, 2005 10:07PM

According to the Aftcote directions, its shelf life is opproximately one year when stored away from direct sunlight ads UV lighting ! Ed

Date: June 09, 2005 10:28PM

I really hate to even suggest this, but I think someone (Aftco) is trying to sell a little more finish. 100% solids epoxies have no appreciable shelf life. They will perform as well 100 years from now as they did the day they were made. Epoxy finish doesn't go bad. The resin may crystalize if kept in very cool or cold places, but they can be restored to like condition by heating in a pan of hot water until the resin returns to clear.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 09, 2005 11:10PM

I gotta go with Tom on this one; I've got some that's near 20 years old and still use it.

I don't think it can go bad; still works as well as the day I received it in the mail; it's very amber in color now, but still does a good job of finishing.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.lax.megapath.net)
Date: June 10, 2005 11:29AM

Thanks for all the replies, folks. You live, you learn. Unfortunately, I put silver metalic tips against black guide wraps, and now I don't want to take a chance on any color change. I also know that the next few rods I build will not have a thread color which can be adversely affected by amber epoxy.:) Again, let me say what an incredibly wonderful resource this site has become for me. Thanks once more.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 10, 2005 11:54AM

Hunter, I don't think you'll have any problems putting that old finish over the silver, either. I've done it with this 20 year old stuff. The thinner coats that are put on the rod don't show that amber color like the bottle does. Remember, you're looking through a lot of finish when you see that amber color in the bottle. It won't appear like that in a thin coat on the guide wraps. Try a test and see for yourself, Hunter!

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: June 10, 2005 03:28PM

Someone here, I forget who, made a great analogy with a glass of beer. You look through a glass of beer and it's amber in color, but you pour some out on a countertop and it'll look clear. It has to do with how much thickness you're looking through.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: June 11, 2005 01:48PM

Again, thanks for all the sage advice. I decided to use the old U-40 epoxy, and it is working fine. No hint of discoloration. Thanks!
Tight lines,
Hunter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster