I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread color suggestions
Posted by: william baburchak (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2005 09:43PM

Evening All,

I could use some help picking thread colors for my new fly rod. I'll be using a Rainshadow RX6 blank in a dark blue color. I was thinking maybe a different shade of blue with gold trim bands(I'm a Saint Louis Rams fan), but I would love to hear your suggestions.
Thanks

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread color suggestions
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 10:05PM

You might try garnet with no cp. It will turn a dark burgandy. Dark brown? Gold or silver trim would look nice and work with both colors. Ain't this the fun part!

Posted by: Greg Tucker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 05, 2005 11:56PM

Check out the Sulky, Brass metalic. Its golder than gold.. stuff will knock your eyes out..
2ct

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: June 06, 2005 12:05PM

For that color blank, I like Blue Dun. With and w/o cp.
Without CP it blends nicely with the blank.
With CP, add NCP white or any gold or yellow as the trim bands.

RB

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: June 06, 2005 12:09PM

Just finished one- Blue dun with cp and two wind Sulky gold metallic trim bands. Looks fantastic.

Also finished one a month or so ago. Garnet with no cp. Gunmetal trim bands tied using the nail knot/ applied cp only to trim bands.

I must say I favor the look of the blue dun w/cp.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 06, 2005 03:24PM

Jason,
How do you keep the CP from bleeding onto the Garnet thread?

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: June 06, 2005 04:08PM

I tie the trim bands on first, position them close to the final location, then I tighten them. I keep the tag end on the bands then apply 2 coats of cp. After the cp is dried I wind the main color guide wraps, in this case the garnet. After the main color wrap is on I butt the trim band up to the guide wrap and re tighten them and trim the tag ends. It works really easy and is much easier to trim the bands after the cp is applied and dry because they have less tendency to come apart. It takes a little more time than just putting the trim bands in the wraps but I like the look. You can also use more than one band to make a blending effect into your guide wrap, just make the guide wrap a little shorter to account for this and use cp on whatever you wish to show more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster