I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Spacing Spreadsheet
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 11:43AM

I posted this a few days ago, but, at the suggestion of Tom I am posting again as some people may have missed it over the holiday weekend. I came up with an Excel spreadsheet that will calculate guide spacing based on the method presented in the Advanced Custom Rod Building book by Dale Clemens. If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet just shoot me an e-mail and I’ll be happy to send it. About 35 people took me up on the offer on the first go-around.

***Note: This isn’t a table of guide spacings, rather, a spreadsheet that calculates guide spacing using some simple data input by the user. The data that needs to be input are:

1. Number of guides
2. Rod Type (spreadsheet explains what to do)
3. Distance from tip to butt-guide

With regards to “Rod Type”, the method associates different rod types with “factors” that are used to calculate the spacing. Please don’t ask me why freshwater spinning rods have the same factor as surf casting rods….I have no clue, the spreadsheet just makes the method presented in the Clemens book a little simpler.

I’ll reply to e-mail in the evenings….

Bret Rahe
brahe@gvtc.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Spacing Spreadsheet
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2005 11:54AM

And remember that it won't give you optimum guide spacings/placement. It's simply a good place to start. Perhaps better than most generic spacing charts used for the same purpose.

Posted by: steve loper (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 01:42PM

I would Like a copy, Thanks
Steve Loper

Posted by: Chris Williamson (---.consolidated.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 01:57PM

I would like a copy please.
Thanks
Chris

by e-mail
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 02:23PM

I would also like a copy but I'll send an e-mail to the gentleman as requested. He might not look back in here and see the requests.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 02:31PM

Or you could just use this website that has the same info.

[www.uwm.edu]

Date: May 31, 2005 02:41PM

The website appears to do the same thing, but only for fly rods (granted I didn't browse the site for very long). The spreadsheet I created can be used for acquiring guide spacing on various rod types (again, see the Clemens book for details).

Regards....Bret

Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 03:02PM

I, too, would appreciate a copy, please.
Thank You,
Jim Kirby

Date: May 31, 2005 03:36PM

Jim,

Your e-mail is hidden......send me an e-mail and I'll respond with the spreadsheet attached this evening.

Bret

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 03:38PM

Bret
If you didn't get my email sent on friday please ad me to the list.

Thanks

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 06:00PM

I would like a copy. Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 09:20PM

Hey guys, give him a break and e-mail him as he requested! That way he can just hit REPLY on your e-mail and attach the spreadsheet. A lot easier on him than to have to type address into 50 e-mails!!! After all, he did specifically ask that you e-mail him.

Mike

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 09:31PM

Sorry Bret. Mike is right. I got you mass mailing anyways. Seems to work well. Thanks a lot. Maybe it or something like it can be posted in the library some day.

Posted by: Tony Luppino (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:52AM

Hi Bret, I'd like a copy fi you have time. Thanks, Tony

Posted by: Jack Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 26, 2005 08:16AM

Would love to have a copy of the spreadsheet...

Thanks Bret

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster