I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Q: Casting distance on spin: Fuji SIC vs. REC Recoil
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 02:40PM

Greetings.

Did a complete search of all previous posts but no answer.

For spin rods using normal (mono) or braided lines in the 2-4 lb range. These are very thin lines. We're using ultralight spin reels.

I doubt that anyone actually has actually done an A-B direct comparison but would love some informed opinions/thoughts:

Would the REC Recoil cast as far as the Fuji titanium SICs casting with light lines on spin rods? Distance is beginning to matter as we fish in the waters in our area and we're trying to max out our distance. We're using light lures (1/16 top 1/6th ounce) and need to launch it waaaaay out there. It seems that the lighter recoil would allow a bit faster tip recovery and add a bit more lure speed when whipping the whole rig. It also seems that the SIC would offset that by being slicker.

Anyway, thanks in advance again for any opinions:

Mo

ps: Where would I find a SUGGESTED RETAIL (not actuall selling price) for the Rec Recoils?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Q: Casting distance on spin: Fuji SIC vs. REC Recoil
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: May 30, 2005 03:08PM

Mo,
The suggested retail for Recoils is on their site to the left. I've had good luck with Cabela's Tectan line from Germany to get extra distance with spinning outfits, the down side is a corresponding lack of abrasion resistance because the line is so small and soft.

Date: May 30, 2005 03:32PM

Spencer,

THANKS. So, it is - found the suggested retaili. Thanks.

Since those of you responding probalby have used the Recoils, here's a follow up question.

1. Recoil ring sizes. Are the INTERIOR of the ring sizes of the REC Recoil comparable to the Fuji's? i.e. Size 6 rec recoil compared to the Fuji size 6. Since the REC is only a wire, and FUji has a thick ring, wondering if the REC recoils are comparable or should one go SMALLER on the Recoils to get comparable to the Fujis. (I ask because the American Tackle Titans and the Fujis are a bit different with the TItans having larger inner diameter for comparable sizes.)

2.What is the difference between the Recoil RSF (Recoil SIngle Foot Light Duty) and the RSPG (Single foot spinning guides)? Their photo of the RSF shows only a SIDE view so can't compare. Incidentally, the RSF goes down to size 1??? That's 1mm opening? I must be missing something here.

Thanks again.
Mo

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2005 03:33PM

If the ring size and the height are the same, there will be little or no difference in casting distance. The ring material doesn't really factor into casting distance - you could bend paper clips into guides and get about as much distance as you would with SIC rings.

The benefits of harder, slicker rings are more often found when paying line in or out under pressure, or in the longevity.

Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 04:31PM

I built a ultralight rod 5 ft. 8 inch and really like it, as far as casting with 4 pound P-Line it cast great. Still hooked and landed large pike with the rod, most fun I have had fishing. Had to set spinning real to free spool to fight them. The REC spinning guides are great guides, I used fireline and P-Line all last summer and guides still look like new. It would be nice if they were a little taller off the blank for the larger butt guides, but they can still be setup to work. They are lite and I like the way they look, I would say give them a try, they are great guides for rods you want to keep as lite as possible, Rich.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: May 30, 2005 04:37PM

Mo,
The RSF is a fly guide, the spinning and casting guides are built with a double loop of wire, the fly guides with a single loop, but two different diameters of wire depending on your application. The fly guides are sized using British and American patterns from way back when and have no relation to what we use now with casting and spinning guides that I know of. About the only size I remember is that a #3 fly and #8 ceramic ring are very close in size off the top of my head, but I think someone made a listing and posted it last week.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: May 30, 2005 07:55PM

Spencer,

Ih that case, for a UL spin rod, any reason not to use the RSF with a single loop of wire?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.157.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 01:14AM

Mo
I just tried some spider wire on my UL. 4 pound test. Gave me at least 20 plus more feet on my casts.
A little nasty to cut though. Should probably put a mono leader on in case you get hung up. It will break easyer.

Date: May 31, 2005 02:13AM

Yes, these newer superlines and the like WILL give a nasty cut if you try to break it. Thankfully, I've read quite a bit about that so we've avoided that. We do use a 2 lb leader at all times so breaking off has never been a problem for us. If need be, we'll wind it around our arms multiple times to prevent the cut.

Glad to hear that you were able to get 20+ more feet. That's good.

Mo

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: May 31, 2005 11:40AM

The SF REC spinning guides are double looped and stand taller than the fly guides. I would use the spinning guides to challenge the SICS. Personally, I would favor the ceramic inserts of the SICs due to line wear but the REC set would doubtless be lighter. You could mix the spinning guides with #1 SF fly guides on the tip, but you would lose some abrasion resistance. The H & H stand up guides might be exactly what you want and make a good compromise between wire and ceramic. John Launstein has these.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 02:42PM

Mo
The Titan guides from American Tackle. Light and maybe the lightest.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 02:47PM

Thanks Don,

As usual, you're giving me GREAT advice. Thanks again for all the valuable help in the past weeks, including our e-mails. I'll check on the H&H stand up guides. No clue what they are now but will check.

Thanks again.
Mo

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 08:52PM

I'd be careful wrapping spiderwire around my arm even. I've had the stuff and powerpro totally destroy and cut into pliers, boca grips, whatever I had on the boat to wrap it around that I thought was strong enough to break the line. I use 300lb spectra when fishing goliath grouper, that stuff I have to cleat off on the boat and use the boat to break. Could almost use it for anchorline!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 09:32PM

Mo,
The Hopkins & Holloway guides are also at Angler's Workshop. Sage uses them on their rods. The HSLG guides are what Don was talking about I believe.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 09:36PM

Mo,
The Hopkins & Holloway guides are also at Angler's Workshop. Sage uses them on their rods. The HSLG guides are what Don was talking about I believe.

Date: June 01, 2005 03:23AM

Thanks Spencer.

Phil, 300 lb!!??! Wow. I am using 10 lb test which is why it works with the 'wrap round arm' method. 300 lb is obviously not going to work. LOL.

Mo

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 06:35AM

Of course the 300lb isn't going to work. I was talking about the thinner stuff as well. We use a lot of the 6lb diameter 20lb test, and the stuff is so thing it'll cut into darn near anything. Just be careful with the stuff, you won't catch me wrapping it around my arm.

Phil

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 02:12PM

I put the single foot fly guides on a spinning rod I built last winter, and it casts just fine. I figured why not one loop of wire instead of two? The single foots feel nearly weightless. I also put them on a 6wt Sig V and don't like 'em. They seem to have a lot of friction and are quite noisy and don't seem to shoot line that well, although I have not hooked into a salmon with the rod yet, which will decide whether or not to replace the guides. I think I'll stick with ceramics in the future....they just shoot line so well. I'll have to try out the Titan guides in the future.

300lb test!!! Holy crap! I never use over 15lb mono for even 30+ lb king salmon! Jeez!

Ray
Juneau

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: June 01, 2005 09:13PM

The 300lb test is for sharks and goliath grouper around wrecks. Even with the 300lb, there are days when I can't get even one in. My last trip I hooked three and got broke off each time.

Have to have VERY good tackle and drags. I had my drag a bit too tight and litterally ripped the reel foot and clamp off the new Daiwa Sealine Tournament 50W. Was strapped in stand=up style and everything happened in an instant. 400 plus pound lb fish at the end of the line, 400 lb mono leader, 300lb spectra, and a reel with a bent frame that froze the spool. IN a flash I was heading over the side and my buddy grabbed me, the line broke. I weigh 240+ pounds.

Sounds like overkill, I'm sure, but on some wrecks I still lose more than I land.
Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster