I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GUSA B 80 XF guide sizes
Posted by: Scott Summers (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 28, 2005 10:36PM

Hello all,
I am getting a order together to build this rod. I want to spiral wrap it using the "bumper guide" method described in the last issue of RodMaker. I am going to use Titan size 8 fly guides out to the tip (to big?). I am not sure what size guides I need to order for the first few guides, any suggestions on size and quantities would be greatly appreciated. I will be using a Quantum Cabo pt 20 or AC 500 reel with 30 lb. braid and 20-50 lb. flouro leader most of the time. Thanks, in advance,for any advice offered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GUSA B 80 XF guide sizes
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 06:28AM

Scott, first and foremost - do you have the blank already? GUSA is WAY behind on orders (I've been waiting as patiently as possible since February), and they are moving shop to Arizone & not taking any orders for a few months.

What advantages will you have using single foot guides on that blank? They will work just fine, but most of my SW stuff that I use on boats gets beat up pretty good, and my personal preference would be to use a light double foot guide to prevent the guide from being damaged s easily as a single footer might be. imo.

On all my SW rods like the one you are building, I start with a 20 stripper. I think you can figure the rest out from there.

Re: GUSA B 80 XF guide sizes
Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 09:53PM

As reported in the previous reply by BillyV, if you ain't got it You might not until Fall! I would agree with the duole foot guides of the 1st two and the bumper guide. Use a #20 NIC as a stripper guide mainly due to the width of you reel. the 2nd could be a #16NIC or a #12NIC and the bumper could be a #10NIC. I would prefer to step down in size on the NIF fly guides meaning #10 then #8 but that is up to you. I would also consider using the #6NIF as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster