I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Green blank thread choice
Posted by: tom nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 11:14PM

I am getting ready to wrap a rainshadow rx7 green blank and I am thinking of the color old gold with no cp. It looks nice on the brown practice blank. I don't want to do any green even though it looks nice. Its just been done so much and I have a winston in similiar colors. I have also done burgandy/red on green.I don't care for the rest of the spectrum with a green blank.. Has anyone wrapped gold on green without cp? I really like the translucent look of no cp. I have been all around the web and can"t find the combination to look at. My wife say's its a nice combo. I'm sure it would look better with a trim wrap of something but I am not at the trim wrap stage as of yet. Maybe someone has used this combo. Could really use a picture if anyone has one. Thanks guy's.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green blank thread choice
Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 03:08AM

Tom,

I usually stay away from that combo as the standard gold color is light enough that the green of the blank shows trrough and makes the gold a strange color.. Why not try it on the area where the handle will be and see if you like it. I have found that by wrapping a guide and then wetting the threads, you can get an idea of what the finished product will look like. If you like it, the thread will dry in plenty of time for finishing and if you don't, you won't have any trouble removing the wraps.

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.253.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 06:34AM

Try some #200 regualr nylon no CP on the butt section
It comes out looking like " Honey "

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 01:42PM

ICW with green rod thread color choice......kinda buttin in but a see thru and final finish look is mentioned here. I have a dark green blank, similar to an Orvis. Since it's my first rod, I don't even want the thread to show, let alone the foot. I bought some single foot Fuji Alconites in black. I have heard when I file them the will turn shiny silver. How can I mount and cover these guides where it just looks like a store bought rod, no thread or guide foot showing at all? I want to just darken it so nuttin' shows on my first fling at this rod building. Varnish? Epoxy, NCP......? How do I dood it?

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: May 30, 2005 12:16PM

J. Williams
This is a good question on how to file without the finish coming off.
What I do is gently bend the foot down and file from underneath with a rattail file.
Start with a search of this Idea and then I would start a new Message Thread.
Mike

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 30, 2005 07:45PM

Jim,

After I prep the foot, I use a black Sharpie pen and "paint" it. If you use a dark thread with no CP, you will get the look that you see on factory rods

Mike

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 12:40AM

Thanks Mike and Mike. I got it....on boaf counts..

I got's to learn board etiquette. I am beginning to think if I have a question....it should just be a new thread post. At least nobody cut my head off and handed it back to me on a silver platter.

sorry
later

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.colorado.edu)
Date: May 31, 2005 08:32PM

Tom,

I did my Pac Bay Rainforest 8' 4 weight with gold (Gudebroad #027) and I really like the looks of it. It looks amazing when the sun shines on it.

I probably won't be home until late tonight but I'll post a picture of it when I do.

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster