I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick query on manual rod wrapper
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 03:52AM

Greetings,

Posted a 'wanted' in the Buy/Sell section for a used rod wrapper and/or dryer but no response. No problem.

Any comments on this unit?

[]

Would be glad to get something from one of the sponsers on the left if anyone can suggest something in this price range that you think is BETTER than the unit on @#$%&.

Tom, if the post above violates any rules due to my asking about an @#$%& product, please do delete this post. Otherwise, would love some quick informed opinions.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick query on manual rod wrapper
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: May 27, 2005 10:03AM

The unit in the picture looks nice but also seems to lightly built for any serious work. The little dowel that holds the thread direction device wouldn't be stout enough for much tension. Probably okay for fly and light freshwater rods but not much else. I would tend to lean towards the HW1 Flex Coat unit for something in that price range. And while most @#$%& people are honest, I guess I would also feel safer dealing with a sponsor in case I needed help with something.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 27, 2005 10:43AM

Mo, I built my own wrapper based on the article found in the "library" (black links on top of this page). Very inexpensive and easy to do with minimal tools required. You could easily build it with a simple hand saw and a drill. Also has more adjustability than the one you found on @#$%&.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 11:33AM

Like Rick said. You can make your own turner for pennies and in most cases they well be better than the ones on @#$%&. When I frist started building rods I did not have a area where I could cut wood or sand. So I took my designs to a local high school wood shop and with the teachers help. He and his students built me one out of hard wood. It turned out to be a show peace and won a blue ribbon at the local fall fair in the arts and crafts section. This was a few years ago but in my materials I think I had less than 40 bucks in it. That was because I used hard woods. Now if I used Pine it would have been cheaper. The down side with hard wood is it is a little heaver than Pine
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 12:33PM

I agree with the idea of building your own. Building my wrapper was the first thing I did 20+ years ago and I'm still using it, though I did make a slight design change recently when I learned of a source for an aluminum channel for my thread caddir. You'll want the flexibility of a mobile thread caddie. Being able to position your guide anywhere that you want, between or outside of uprights, is very helpful. If you would like I can send some images of mine, based upon a version I found in a flyfishing catalog.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 11:05PM

Mo, I also agree that building your own is the only way to go. You can customize it to your specific needs, and it's as much fun as building rods. I tried to post some pics of the one I built, but am still having issues posting pics.....here is a link where I did post some pics of the wrapper. The pics show it in the early stages and I've made some modifications since then. I also built the wrapper before I built my first rod so it continues to be a work in progress.

[www.stripersonline.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster