I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Did I make a mistake?
Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.bhi-net.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 05:37AM

I've been reading several posts about the Dan Craft Sig V and there is an almost constant reference to them being "fragile" I just ordered one and now I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake in not ordering the FT instead. How does the Sig V compare to other top end rods (Sage XP, Loomis GLX, St Croix LE) as far as being fragile goes? Has any body had a problem with the Sig V breaking when other rods wouldn't under normal conditions? I live in Alaska, and wouldn't want an unexpected silver to destroy my new Sig V while out trout fishing because the rod is fragile.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Did I make a mistake?
Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 08:22AM

I asked the same thing when I ordered mine. Dan said that he wouldn't consider them fragile, but don't abuse them either. And I would think if your drag was set right and you don't "high stick" the fish, you shouldn't have to worry about breakage there.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.65.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 08:28AM

That is why I always try to stay with a mid blank like the FT. Who thinks when fighting a nice size fish ? Less to worry about

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2005 08:55AM

With proper fighting technique and reasonable care in handling, none of the rods you mention are even remotely fragile. They don't just "blow up" or fail for no reason.

Dropping them on rocks, stepping on them, smacking them against tree limbs, etc., will cause them to be somewhat "fragile." Beyond that, you have little to worry about. Rods that are truly fragile, don't stay on the market very long.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.65.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 09:19AM

What about the stuff said on this board about a fly hitting a high end blank and the possibility of it breaking there ? I mysef do not need to wonder about that every time I go fishing. I go to have fun
They may be a little more sensative and lighter and also cost more

Then ya build one for a customer and it snaps, now it is faulty and he wants a new one??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2005 09:21AM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 27, 2005 12:25PM

Tim,

That's what I needed to hear. I've hooked into my fair share of Kings, Reds, and Silvers while Trout fishing and managed to land Kings up to 35 lbs on my 6 wt. I don't plan on it; I just know it can happen. The way some people were talking, it began to sound like the Sig V was unusually fragile as compared to rods like my St Croix SC IV and XP.

I guess I just have to build and find out for myself.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2005 12:42PM

The weak link in the chain is your leader/tippet, not the rod. Or at least it should be. You can only apply so much pressure with your 6-weight, so whether you're up against a 10lbb king or a 200 sailfish really doesn't matter to the rod. You can only apply so much pressure anyway.

But, you do need to use good fish fighting techniques (RodMaker volume 7 #5) or you can break nearly any rod, and... it won't be because the rod was fragile.

The only thing most of the higher end blanks won't withstand is bumping, banging and rough-housing. Things that you shouldn't do with any fine piece of sporting gear.

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 06:00AM

Denis,

Personally, I have never broken any of the Signature V series while fishing but I know others have (we have about a3% breakage rate on the Sig. V blanks and that includes car doors, screen doors, Brothers in law and flaws). These are my "Go to" rods and other than occasionally throwing an FT would use nothing else. I have even used some as spin rods with no trouble. We do occasionally have a blank fail immediately after it is built into a rod but that is just the occasional flaw that will show up in the thousands of blanks sent out.
I have been known to recommend a longer ferrule wrap for the heavier weights or when you know you will encounter a big fish once in a while but all in all, the Signature V blanks will stand up to the same treatment as any other high modulus blank. They should also be treated the same as any other high modulus blank.
As I tell just about anyone who asks my opinion, keep your hands on the cork, don't over extend the rod (extreme high sticking), don't reach up to the stripper guide to put more leverage on a fish ( this effectively shortens the rod and usually causes undue stress at the nearest ferrule and probably breakage sometime soon), open up your loop when throwing beadhead flies, use the proper leader for the weight of the rod, don't carry your rod to you fishing spot in the bed of the truck and don't horse the fish. If you follow those guidelines, you should be fine.
Thanks,

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Date: May 28, 2005 07:52AM

Dan,

That's what I thought. Thanks for the reply and the time you spent with me on the phone when I made the order. I'm sure I'll be back in touch with you again in the near future (for another rod) I want to build another 8wt.

Regards,
Denis Labrecque

Posted by: Robert Hively (---.sprint-rev.hbci.com)
Date: May 30, 2005 09:54AM

You know, I have been thinking about the above, and Tom is right, of course, but there is one other factor, though not as significant as tippet and technique: the blank. Note, these comments are not directed at any maker or manufacturer, but meant as an observation.

Some people outsource blanks, some make them in-house.

I have an acquaintance who assembles rods using low cost bundles and seconds. He adds some fancy threadwork and sells them for a hefty price at various "shows" in large cities. Thing is, this rod as a basic tool may not be satisfactory in this case.

But where one is working to maintain a business and rep, I am sure the best available is more the case.

Still, the blank's origin is a question I would tell a client and would ask as a client, in any case.

Hive

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster