I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal Connection ?
Posted by: Clay Thorsrud (64.160.126.---)
Date: May 17, 2005 07:02PM

This is NOT a rant against Decal Connection, but I need some decals made and it's clear that I won't be able to do business with them anymore.
Was just out to order some rod decals at Decal Connection and ran across the following on their website:

"Decal Connection has recently been asked by a few major rod blank companies to not make any decal with their name on them unless we obtain the following from you.
A copy of the original decal, warranty card, or proof of purchase that came with the blank. You can either send this to us by mail, file attachment, or faxed,
We know that all of you are legitimate rod builders and would never try to sell a rod with information on it that was not true.
The sad fact is there are many out there that do attempt this illegal practice.
To save time on an order like this, please send us the info that we need as requested by these companies.
We will be attempting over the next thirty days, to contact all other major rod companies and address this type of procedure with them.
Thank you for your understanding of this new and needed procedure.
It not only protects you, Decal Connection, but also the rod companies."

While I can understand the position, I've got blanks laying around for years that I can't prove I bought, or won , let alone have a receipt, etc.
Anybody have an alternative site ? I really don't want the expense of buying a special printer/software, etc. to make my own decals, I only wrap 4 to 6 rods a year, and it isn't justified.
Thanks,
Thor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal Connection ?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 07:26PM

You may have a hard time finding someone to do them. The blanlk companies are only trying to protect their name/reputations. As they stated, it's pretty easy to pick up cheap blanks and slap a name like Loomis, St. Croix, etc and peddle them on @#$%& to unsuspecting buyers and giving custom rods a bad name.. Most companies supply decals with the blanks and if you call them direct they will probably send you the labels needed ( I have gotten labels from St. Croix with no problems)

Mike

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 17, 2005 08:13PM

Have you discussed your situation with Jimi at Decal Connection? You could probably work out a way to authenticate your blanks. If they've been "laying around for years", you must have a way of keeping track of which is what, most quality blanks are marked by the maker to identify them: take digital pix and offer to send those to Jimi.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.77.177.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 10:39PM

Basically, what Mike and Tom said. More and more companies, etc are starting to crack down on copyrights these days. Especially with all the scams being pulled and the explosion of @#$%& and other online @#$%& (not singleling anyone out). Blank mfgrs are protecting their interests, DC and any other reputable company will protect their legal interests in turn. However, you might be surprised at how many mfgrs will work with you though, and the lengths that Jimi will as well. If your rods have markings/decals, take some pics and touch base with both. At worst, you may have to ship a blank to a company for them to verify that they built it.

Sometimes though, it just won't work. I've been asked to do a surprise gift rod for a Columbia University PhD grad and when I asked the school for their permission to make, or have Jimi make a decal of their school shield for a one time use, I was denied. The only way I could use it was if the actual alumni requested its use in writing. No more surprise. I have no doubt that I could fire off an email or phone call to a couple folks I know and have it done and fedex'd tomorrow, but technically if someone wanted to push the issue, they would be in as much trouble, if not more, than me. It's just not worth it to me.

If nothing else, work up a nice brochure to go along with your rods so that your customers know what their rod was built on. It's actually rare when I put a factory decal on a rod, as I think it takes away from the custom look. In the past, I've had DC make up my "own" decal for the blank mfgr and specs, but I've never actually put one on a rod. I just couldn't do it in the end. It just wouldn't have looked right.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 08:25AM

I'm with Mick on this one. I don't use company/manufacture decals on custom rods, but do supply a brouchure with every new rod including the make and model, along with the dos and don'ts of caring for their new rod.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.0.72.14.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 18, 2005 09:02AM

Ran into the same situation recently. I too have a number of Calstar blanks waiting to be built that I purchased over the last few years. Calstar GF's are my favorite sw blank to build on and just happen to be one of those "top-quality" manufacturers that do not supply decals with their blanks. Neither do their blanks have any identifying marks. Understand I don't want to clone a factory-built Calstar, but I do like to incorporate the blank and the line rating somewhere in the butt wrap area. I simply wanted a decal that read "Calstar GF 700ML 20 - 30 # " much like the decal that St. Croix supplies with their balnks.
Contacted Jimi at Decal Connection and ran into the new policy. Because the decal had the word "Calstar", he would not or could not print it. In fairness, Jimi bent over backwards and placed a phone call to Leon at Calstar to send me some Calstar decals to prove I actually did own these blanks. Leon was very gracious and understanding and the decals arrived within the week. Unfortunately, Decal Connection, through no fault of their own, will not get my (albeit small) amount of future business because I acquired an Alps printer and can easily produce the metallic gold or silver inscription decals I occasionally need for a rod building project. My wife also likes it for her candle-making and crafts projects.

Posted by: Clay Thorsrud (64.160.126.---)
Date: May 18, 2005 10:43AM

Yes, I did contact Jimi and the reply was nice and and concerned, but of no real help, did mention that I was the 1st person to let them know (think of all those people who won't let them know). Of the 9 blanks I have waiting, 5 of Calstar (one won in a sponsor drawing on a long range boat (so no receipt or anything)), the other Calstars were purchased well over a year ago (I think I may have a receipt for one of them), 1 seeker (received as a Christmas present so no receipt, no decal), and 3 Rainshadows that I do have decals for.
Oh well, guess I'll have to work on my handwriting skills.
Thor

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: May 18, 2005 10:55AM

Clay, you don't need a 'special' computer program or printer to make your own decals. Don't fret over that. Go buy you some Avery mailing lables and use the programs that are already in your computer. I use MS Word & Publisher (both of which have Avery templates already). No, you're not going to be able to print in silver or gold. Normally I use black blanks so I print my lables solid black. This allows it to somewhat blend in with the blank color. Then you can print the lable information in whatever color your printer is capable of...including white. This is how I've been doing it for a while now although I just got decals from Jimi just last week for two rods that I'm finishing up.

I agree with some of what has been said above. If a blank didn't come with a factory decal, give the manufacturer a call. Most will be more than happy to supply those.

Jay

Posted by: Jimi Ellis- Decal Connection Inc /Sou (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 03:14PM

I understand everyone’s frustration when it comes to the policy of manufactures names on rod decals. It is not fun on this end either. Come and field some of the calls.

If you, or anyone else with an alps or any other type printer makes decals without copyright authority (logos, names, etc.), you may see yourselves in court just like Decal Connection would have to.

We have always tried to, in every way, conduct business with a high moral value. Do we like loosing money because of this policy? NO. We, as always will continue to serve the rod builders with all the respect that they deserve.

Please do not shoot us just because we are abiding by the law.
Any comments or suggestions? You know we welcome them all. Good ones we love.

Jimi
Southern Grafix Inc. / Decal Connection Inc.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 23, 2005 05:38PM

Well said, Jimi!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster