I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I missed up please help
Posted by: courtney nicholson (---.atl.fdn.com)
Date: May 03, 2005 02:07PM

I put a guide in the wrong place and put finisher on it. So i remover the guide and moved it but now the blank has a residue on it from the first placement is there a way to get this to look like it did? also i put a little hair line scrach in the blank can this be removed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I missed up please help
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 03, 2005 03:55PM

I'm REAL new at this, but you can remove the excess epoxy by heating/warming it up with a hair dryer and "pushing" it off with your finger, then take solivent and wipe off the sticky resdue (I used fingernail polish remover, but test the blank for colorfastness FIRST)

The scratch is above my head :-)

DR

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2005 04:42PM

Hi Courtney,

Duane is correct with the hair dryer & fingernail or old credit card. Just be careful not to over heat the blank. I would not recommend fingernail polish remover as that can damage the blank. Denatured Alcohol or rubbing alcohol will remove the residue. As for the scratch I've had good results with Gudebrod Rod Restorer and most any of the sponsers to the left carry it. Hope this helps.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: May 03, 2005 04:51PM

The hair dryer technique should work, just be careful with the heat. You'll probably have to use your fingernail or a Flexcoat plastic burnisher(if you have you) to remove it. Clean the blank with denatured alcohol, don't use fingernail polish, depending on what's in it, you could ruin the finish on the blank.

As for the scratch, if it's only in the surface of the clear coat, you might be able to remove it with a fingernail buffer. I bought one at Wal Mart that's amazingly fine. I have used it on a clear coat and it puts a pretty good polish on it, but it takes some effort. If the scratch is deeper than that, you may be able to fix it with Permagloss. Depending on where the scratch is, you could also cover it with a decal or a weave. If the rod is for you, I wouldn't worry about it, the rod will get scratched up from being used anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster