I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

suggestion for saltwater rod and components
Posted by: Al Anderson (---.clspco.adelphia.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 02:56PM

Hi,

I have built a few fly rods from moderate quality blanks and components. I would now like to build a couple of top quality rods for my own use and to "hand down" to my fly fishing sons. I need recommendations on blanks and components (no bamboo). I would prefer suggestions from rod makers themselves but will entertain any suggestions by manufacturers or shops. Here is what I want to make:

Saltwater:
1. I think a 9'-0, 9 wt. for fishing for bonefish, permit and small tarpon. If experience suggests a different wt. or length, let me know.
2. I prefer a "stiffer" tip flex rod
3. willing to put top quality compnents on the rod - give me recommendations.
4. I would like a reel seat with a laser picture (or other method) of a fish.
5. Need suggestion on how to inscribe the rod with name and dedication. (I've tried several methods using my own picture and inscription on labels or paper and have not had good luck)
6. recommned finishes for saltwater and lots of sun.

Freshwater:
1. 9'-0, 5 wt. rod for trout and other smaller game fish (bass).
2. again prefer tip flex
same other requirements as above except finish suitable for freshwater.

BTW - I got started several years ago on this site and with Tom's book. Thanks Tom for some enjoyable hours in my basement and on the water.

Thanks,
Al

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: suggestion for saltwater rod and components
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: April 22, 2005 03:48PM

My recomandation. I fish in Scandanivian waters, but I have some expierence from Florida. I have used the discountinued Austin Allstar blanks a lot. I spent the nearly whole March month this year in the Tampa Bay area. I felt I was missing a good 7 weight rod ( I did not bring my allstar rod, but I Loop bluline salt rod, which did not handle strong wind and lead eyed clousers to well . I was thinking and thinking about buying a Sage XI2 blank, but ended up with another Dan Craft FT blank. That is my recomondation. When it comes to guides SIC with tianium frames. I am trying out the new amtacks, but I have plenty of expierence with Fuji Tlsg,. They a little bit lighter but more expensive. and the amtacks are more than OK. Reelseats ? I have Struble, REC and Pacific Bay and those aluminium reelseats Dan Craft is selling. When it comes to practical use theres is, at least for me not that big difference between them, though you might see which is the cheapest. I prefer titanium finish to black, because it is not so easily schratched.I have settled with Allstar Austin and vari0us Dan craft FT blanks from weight 4-10, included my Sage SLT 5 weight these rods cover all my fresh and saltwater needs. Myhandwriting is ugly, so I use my PC with Dymo printer with silver print on clear backgrond to create my own decals. If I lived in the US I would have considered Decal Connection ( a sponsor)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2005 04:19PM by Terje bendiksby.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 05:33PM

Check Rainshadow. Don't know if they have the RX8+ in stock yet, but you can't go wrong with that or the RX7+. The Forecast components are excellent quality as well. Most of the sponsors will provide you with blanks and materials to fit your budget and meet your needs. Not sure where you'll get the reel seat. For a single decal, go to the Decal Connection (a sponsor), great service and pricing for whatever you can dream up as an inscription. There has been a lot of discussion on finishes and UV resistance, I'd do a search and start reading. You may find that most of the finishes on the market today will serve your purpose well.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 06:21PM

Amtak Matrix blanks have fairy stiff tips and are very attractive blanks. Dan Craft FT blanks are also relatively stiff, I think. I use Forecast components almost exclusively, good quality and pricing. For a lazer engraved picture, talk to someone in your area that does lazer engraving. There's shop here that only charges me $3 to engrave a wood reel seat insert. It isn't in color but I don't know that anyone can do that.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (24.106.231.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 08:13PM

Dan Craft FT. Very good in windy conditions (fast action).

I don't build tricked out reel seats, so I can't help there. I agree with Terje about a titanium or aluminum reelseat (vs. black anodized) wearing better with less visible scratches. Consider a removable fighting butt for versatiltiy and easier tube packing.

Inscription is easliy done with a very fine tip pen (the type you dip into bottle) and metallic paint. This can be found in art supply or craft stores. A hand done inscription is a very nice touch with lasting value. Rough up finish with Scotchbrite first (epoxy finish covers any marks) and practice on scrap or butt end prior to gluing reel seat and grip on.

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.218.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 11:54PM

Good suggestions on the blanks , for the seat REC components offers lazer engraving on their salt water seats , in a variety of fish patterns . I personaly have one of the black finish seats engraved with a srtiped bass , and it is truely an exelent looking and functional seat . They ane not cheap , but well worth the money . They only do the engraving on their seats .
As far as the guides , I prefer inserts on a rod that weight , Forecast , Fuji , Pac Bay , I've used them all , among my favorites are the SIC Fujis , colored ring Forecast , and Fuji Alonites. The Alconites are the best value for the $$ IMHO. Have fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Al Anderson (---.clspco.adelphia.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 07:34PM

Gerry Rhoades Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amtak Matrix blanks have fairy stiff tips and are
> very attractive blanks.

Could you send me a link for these products?

Dan Craft FT blanks are
> also relatively stiff, I think.

Is this the Dan Craft that is a spopnsor on this site? If so, I do not see where there are any rod blanks for sale. MAybe in his catalog? Which is only available thru the mail.

If it is different source, please send a link.

Thank you, Al

I use Forecast
> components almost exclusively, good quality and
> pricing. For a lazer engraved picture, talk to
> someone in your area that does lazer engraving.
> There's shop here that only charges me $3 to
> engrave a wood reel seat insert. It isn't in
> color but I don't know that anyone can do that.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: April 24, 2005 03:22AM

You ust download it from his home page. Try: [www.dancraftent.com]. Yes he is sponsor. Take quick search on this board about his blanks. His 10`blank are not so fast compared to his 9`.

Posted by: Gil Mc Millan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 25, 2005 09:47AM

Al,
The questions that you asked apply to exactly the rods that my customers usually request
My suggestions are in the order that you asked

Saltwater
1. SAGE Xi 2 or TCR
2. Fuji Gold Cermet
3. REC
4. Decal Connection
5. Flex Coat

Freshwater
1. SAGE XP or TCR
2. Fuji Gold Cermet
3. Strubble
4. Decal Connection
5. Flex Coat

Hope this helps,Gil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster