I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow 1502
Posted by: Jeff Hilliard (165.83.124.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:24AM

Iam going to build a Rainshadow 1502.I was looking for reccomendations as to trim the tip 2-4in. like most do on the Lami 1502.The tip now is a 10,trimming 4in would make it a 12.I am building it conventional and would like it to be good for 8-10oz plus bait.Could you also share guide sizes and placement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow 1502
Posted by: Matthew Robinson (---.49.123.35.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 02:58PM

I am building this pole for myself and two friends, I put guides on it the other day and test casted it. With nothing cut from the tip, I was throwing twelve onces and a 5" storm swim shad(1oz and some aero) right at or over 100 yards every time. I can lean into a cast and it didn't feel spongy at all, very impressed. WIth six ounces I was out-casting the field I was in. It is real light weight and this will be my first off the truck at hatteras. And on those light wind days, or on the south beaches in hatteras I do not want to lose any distance with 6 ounces. So I am not going to trim anything. This rod seems to taper real quick and the bottom 8 feet of the rod has very little if any bend. Plus in a couple of years I will most likely build a 1509. I was currently Throwing a 12' tica and the 1502 seemed to handle 12oz better than the tica handles 8 with big bunker head. I would definatly test cast the rod with taped on guides, and see how it feels before you trim anything. I have my reel about 27" from the bottom, no guides on the bottom half, stripping guide is an alconite bmnag 30 then a 20 then 1 blnag 16 and 4 blnag 12. And a 12 sic tip. Seven plus a tip. I was test casting with 6 plus tip, and no real problems, but the bottom three guides were real far apart. I really like the guide set up. The line goes strait down all the guides You don't need a 25. I will probably build my friends with a 30 - 20 -16's to the tip, no 12's as that is more conventional for heavers. Sorry I do not have the rest of the guide spacing. I just located the first guide about a hand grip above the ferrule to give me somthing to hold on to when I separate the rod. And went from there.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 05:37PM

Just curious, why would you want to trim the tip at all? It's rated for 4-10 oz.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: April 22, 2005 06:09PM

Wow! And me being a lite line fanatic! Just thinking about throwing almost a pound of weight makes me want to sleep in! But the Rainshadow 1509 is rated to 12oz. without cutting anything.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 11:05PM

Jeff, please dont go by what others do to other name brand blanks. You have one of the best blanks on the market ,and a lot of the people I talk to feel that the 1502 blank is underrated . Follow Matthews advice and tape the guides on and do some test casting , you can always cut later if you thank you need to. Robert
FishSticks4U

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster