I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hexagraph rod ??
Posted by: Dale Jeppesen (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 08:02AM

Has anyone tried a hexagraph rod out of Texas? What can you tell me about them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hexagraph rod ??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:02AM

Solid graphite that mimics the look of bamboo. Heavier and less responsive than tubular graphite, of course, but has the look of bamboo with the durability of solid construction. They have found a niche and seem to be doing well. They've been around for a good many years now so they must be selling some rods.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:04AM

Dale,
I have built 2 rods out of hexagraph, both of them several years ago before common cents. I like them a lot. One is a 9'6" 7/8 wt and the other is a 5' 5 wt. You have to like the soft action of bamboo in order to appreciate them as this is the action they were originally designed to imitate. I have found them to be extremely durable. The 9'6" rod has acounted for a 20 lb carp on a fly and handled it a whole lot better than I would have guessed.
If you like the soft action of bamboo and the ease of upkeep with graphite then you will not be disapointed.

Sam Fox
Foxrods

Date: April 22, 2005 10:08AM

I think you mean slow recovery - action is either fast, medium or slow and refers to where the rod initially flexes. Bamboo, by nature of its higher stiffness to weight ratio, doesn't respond or recover as fast a tubular shaft of graphite will. Even a solid graphite rod, such as the hexagraph, isn't going to have the same quick response and recovery that a tubular construction of the same material would, either.

Posted by: Ken Hutchinson (---.org)
Date: April 22, 2005 10:34AM

Thanks! You answered my question before I could ask it! I wasn't sure what a soft action was supposed to me. I have one of the higher line weight hexagraphs and several upper end bamboo fly rods and none of them could be considered soft. They're quite powerful! But no they don't react in the same way that a round tubular rod will. They're a little heavier for the same power. The hexagraphs were born in the UK and then bought by the company in TX. Good rods with a traditional look and feel but very tough. If you're looking for something different then this might be what you're after!

Posted by: Gary Bechtel (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2005 01:31PM

So, then, my understanding is that a guy who has fished the older model, slower fiberglass rods in the heavier line weights could probably be comfortable or "feel okay" with the Hexagraph.
Is this correct?
I know where they are at here in Houston, and I have been somewhat curious about them. Gary

Date: April 22, 2005 04:57PM

Quite possibly - they won't react nor recover as quickly as most tubular graphite rods and in fact, may feel a lot more like the glass rods you mention.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 07:03PM

I've casted a couple Hexagraphs the Guide Special and the Elk Meadow. The Guide Special was heavier than many tubular graphite rods I've fished and a medium fast action, cane like, but lighter in weight. The Elk Meadow was in the same league as a Sage SLT (about 2 oz) I've fished weight wise, but again with a more cane like feel. They fished well, doing what you expect of them, especially once the line hits the water.

Posted by: rusty berrier (---.nclxtn.infoave.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:14PM

i've fished one that i built on a blank when they first came out-7'6" 3/4 wt-and have caught trout to 8 lbs on it-feel is somewhat similar to cane rods i've cast-loads well under a wide range of distances-durable as heck and fights large fish well-mine is a great small stream rod.They were also the rods used in the flyfishing sequences in "A river Runs Through It"-whatever that 's worth.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: April 22, 2005 09:58PM

I built one for a customer years ago and test cast it .It was a 9ft. 7wt. and if my budget ever allows I'll buy a 7ft.3wt. and a 9ft.5wt. blank and build me the Best two rods I'll Ever own!!! In moderate action. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 01:14AM

I remember casting one once...and just dreaming that someday I might be able to afford one.

That was before I started building. I know my xmas present to myself this year will be something along the lines of a 7'0" 2/3 weight hexagraph...
Sweetest rods I've ever cast...

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 09:27AM

Sam's point about a bamboo-like feel (my bamboo purist friends remind me that there is nothing that exactly replaces the feel of bamboo :) ) and Tom's explanation is key imo. I have a fishing buddy that had a 8' 3wt built up. It did have a number of advantages that came with the design and named by the company. The problem was that my buddy just could not comfortably adjust his stroke mechanics for a long day on the water. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the rod, it did everything it was advertised to do, and it was absolutely beautiful to boot. It was just a mismatch between rod design and angler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster