I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loose reel
Posted by: Leonard Becker (204.182.125.---)
Date: April 20, 2005 08:31PM

My spinning reel sits loosely in the reel seat of my rod--there is some wiggle/play even though I have fully tightened the rings on the reel seat. I think the foot of the spinning reel is too thin, and so does not snug well on the reel seat.

I vaguely recall another posting on this board regarding this topic. I think one of the suggested solutions was to layer duct tape under the reel foot, and trim it appropriately. I can't seem to locate that prior posting.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to reduce the wiggle and improve the fit (other than getting a better matching rod and reel set)?

Thanks a bunch. --- LB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loose reel
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 08:36PM

Leonard,
I had a rod and reel like that once. I took a shoe box, cut a couple of strips and folded them over the reel feet and it worked ok for me.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 10:13PM

Leonard,
If you look with a good light into the reel seat you should be able to see where the reel is making contact with the reel seat if the reel seat is a plastic not a metal one. If you take a moto tool with a very small tip and carefully route out a small groove where the reel is making contact and make the groove just barely as wide as where the reel is making contact with the reel seat you should be able to fix this problem. I have fixed this same problem a number of times this way.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.126.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 21, 2005 08:26AM

You can also " rod bond " a strip of some thing under the feet of the reel. When dry sand any sharp edges so they are smooth and do not damage the blank. This will be perminent and will take up any slack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster