I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork grading scale
Posted by: Bill Emshoff (---.ktc.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 03:33PM

There is a nice article in the latest issue of "Rod Maker" about a cork grading system.

My problem is that I can find cork rings that look like the Grade 1 in the pictures, but when the rings are turned over, they may be a grade 2 or 3 on the back side.

The best rings I have found so far have been from Angler's Workshop.

Has anyone found grade 1 rings on both sides? what is your source?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork grading scale
Posted by: Bret Olsen (---.org)
Date: April 16, 2005 03:45PM

If you read the article carefully you will find that grade #2 is what most companies commonly sell as their best grade in what they call flor or extra select. It is going to be tough to find #1 anywhere these days but they do turn up. I bought some from Golden Witch about a year ago that would perfectly match #1 in the photo. You can try them and see what they have now.

I did get good use out of the new scale in the past week. I had called a dealer about some parts and he told me what good flor cork rings he had just gotten in. He went on and on about how perfect they were. So I asked him to get out his Rodmaker and tell me which grade they matched in the photo. He said that after looking at his rings next to the photo he guessed he'd have to say they were about a #2. I did buy some and they were pretty much #2 grade. I was satisfied but only because I knew beforehand what I was going to get. The way he was talking I thought they would be perfect. If I hadn't had that Rodmaker scale and had gotten those same rings in I think I would have felt that I had been mislead.

I think the new grade scale is going to be very helpful to those of us who buy much cork. Now we can know beforehand just what to expect when we order.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 03:58PM

I found the best grade cork for me comes from Anglers Workshop. I peronally go there and high grade what I want
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2005 04:12PM

It woudl be very rare to find a ring that is a grade 1 on one side and grade 3 on the back. The opposing faces may vary a bit, but almost never that amount. I still have some of what the article would rate a grade 1. If I located the best face and flip them over, I may find a little difference and a few might then fall into the grade 2 category, but almost none would appear like the grade 3. That's a world of difference.

Most of what vendors these days sell as Flor or AAA or Extra Select or whatever they want to call their best grade is going to fall into grades 2 or 3. Yes, some are selling what they call Flor and it looks like grade 3. However, you have to keep in mind that there is no standard anywhere that says that Flor grade is particularly good.

Just ask your dealer to pick a half dozen rings out of his best stock and set them on his counter randomly and match them up to whichever grade in the photo they closest match. At least that way you'll have some idea of what he's selling. Even rings within a grade will vary some, but rings have a grade 1 face on one side and a grade 3 on the other are going to be pretty rare. That's just too far apart to happen on the same ring. Not saying it can't, but it's not going to be the norm.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 04:28PM

Golden Witch says they sell cork in 1/4" widths as well as in 1/2" precisely to minimize (but not eliminate) variation on the two sides of the ring. It's not that they grade their cork only after looking at both sides (as far as I know), but that it allows builders to be more selective when they chose rings from their personal stash.

Posted by: Russ Wilson (---.nas3.pittsburgh2.pa.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 04:39PM

Is there any pictures of the cork grading scale on the net.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 06:36PM

Hi all! We will be grading our cork according to this new scale as quickly as we can implement it and will post a notice here when our site has been changed and stock sorted appropriately. We do have a (VERY) limited supply of "Grade 1" rings available both from our US and Cdn distribution centres, currently listed as "Ultimate". Our Flor grade rings look to be good Grade 2, and are available in greater supply of course.

We look forward to providing you with quality cork when the need arises! :)

All the best,

Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.65-104.adsl.ij.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 10:08PM

I can see this is going to be helpful. Order flor cork from 5 different suppliers and you\'ll probably get 5 totally different grades of cork. Order Grade2 from 5 different suppliers and what you get should all be pretty much the same. Great idea.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: April 17, 2005 08:18AM

I have not purchased cork from any of the sponsors so I cannot comment on their quality. I have been purchasing cork from an importer for several years now and have been more than satisfied. I purchase only their best quality then cull. Best rings are used for bamboo and the culls for other. Usually get about 20% culls. I have not seen the photos of Grade 1, but could assure you that the culls I receive would be in Grade 1. Grips made from good 1/4" rings will be far superior to those made with 1/2" rings. However, you must be very good at matching, gluing and clamping.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2005 05:36PM

If you have not actually seen the scale, you may wish to stop short of declaring your culls Grade 1.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: April 18, 2005 01:58PM

I don't need to see a photograph of a cork ring to determine what one would perceive to be of top quality. Just start at clear. The secret to obtaining good cork rings is to establish a relationship with a supplier over time and you will get what you need. Nothing has changed; there are excellent rings available from the Catalonia province of Spain and yes, Portugal. No one is hoarding them. You just have to find the right supplier with the right sources.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 18, 2005 02:23PM

well, i'd guess technically you're correct ed, start at "clear" and stop immediately? allow one natural hole? allow 2? but even in your first sentence you used the word "perceive" and perception is what leads to grey areas in evaluating cork. who's your supplier ed??? ;-)

eric (realizing i'm delving into what could be considered industrial secrets... ;-)
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster