I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First rod, done nothing, questions already!
Posted by: David Sims (---.arach.net.au)
Date: April 11, 2005 07:02AM

Greetings,

Today I picked up a samurai s002 blank and the kit of parts required to finish it.. I have practiced a few guide wraps etc and am ready to make this rod!

I noticed though, that the blank sold as what I believed to be a 6 feet 6 version, is about 7 feet 6 inches long.

If I cut too much off the butt end, the pre-reamed cork grips won't fit properly. If i cut a LOT off the tip, it will lose sensitivity yes?

The tip does have a slight bend in it 1 inch or so back.. Should I cut this off?

I'm at a loss as to what to do before glueing on my grips/reel seat.

Cheers folks,
David Sims

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First rod, done nothing, questions already!
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 07:10AM

If you ordered a 6' 6" blank and got a longer one - send it back. call the dealer .

Date: April 11, 2005 07:15AM

The thing is, there's only 6'6" and 7' blanks available, the blank I got is 7"6ish

the man at the shop did say "you might want to cut some off the butt"

So you see why I'm confused. I don't mind giong with 7' but I don't know where to cut off the excess..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2005 07:20AM

Cutting a foot off either the butt or the tip will significantly change the rod's action and power. Even 6 inches will greatly alter what you have there. Cutting from either end will make the action slower. Cutting from the butt will reduce overall power, from the tip will increase the casting lure weight range.

In this day and age with so many blanks to choose from, it's rarely necessary to trim more than an inch or two to get what you want. I'd be very cautious about trimming 6 inches or more from any blank unless I understood that it's going to change the blank by a significant amount.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 07:25AM

Maybe you will be better off sending it back and looking around to find the blank you want??
If you are new to this, that dealer should not have told you to cut the blank, he should have been nice to send you what you want. I would go elsewhere !

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 08:33AM

Sounds like you got a s007 instead. Send it back and call another supplier.

Date: April 11, 2005 09:12AM

The rod has a label on it " S002X " so it would appear to be the correct blank, the thing is when i sit it next to another 6'6" (mass produced) rod it seems almost a foot taller. I should really measure it. If I cut an inch off the tip to get rid of the little bend in it will that effect it? I could do that and then just place the guides as per the concept primer (it came with a recipe for guide placement but I would like to work that out myself)

This is my first rod so I'm not worried about it being perfect, I just want to get stuck into it...

Perhaps my so called 6'6" berkely rod isnt quite that long and I'm just overguestimating. I really need a long tapemeasure lol.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 09:26AM

Your new at this ----Who ever you got it from you should have told him that. he should have not sold you the wrong blank. Send it back
Get what you want
Get the tape measure and measure it to be sure

Date: April 11, 2005 09:30AM

Aah it seems the factory sends out theese blanks at 7'5" so the customer can cut them to whatever length they like. The link below is the same story as mine.

Thanks for your advice anyway guys, I'm sure I'll be needing more before this beauty sees her first cast.

[www.fishnet.com.au]

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 09:54PM

David
Something wrong in that whole thought process. Are you somehow getting bollicksed by meters/feet? 6'6" = 78" two meters is 79" ... if the rods are sold as "two meters" and two and one quarter meters that could be the "problem"? . Most blanks are manufactured with an overall "performance" in mind (balance between the power in the butt section and the response in the tip). I think I'd learn to love it as is - perhaps take the crook off the tip if it's "an inch or so" . Maybe we all need to look at this from your "upside down" perspective LOL

Date: April 11, 2005 11:34PM

No no If you read the link in my post above you'll understand what confused me. The blank is sold as 6'6" and 7' but they actually send it out at 7'5" for god knows what good reason. I cut mine down to 7' as intended, All is well in Dave town.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 06:44AM

Dave
Yes, I read the whole link of posts - very strange that all the blanks are all 'different' than as advertised. I suppose though that does give you
the option of 'tuning' the rod blank. I'm glad it all worked out & I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster