I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread color suggestions - dark green/olive CTS blank
Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: March 29, 2005 02:53AM

Hi,
just received a CTS Affinity blank in a gloss dark green/olive color. I tried a couple of handfulls of the thread colors I had laying about but none seemed right so I would appreciate your suggestions on this.

Thanks
Peter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2005 03:36AM by Peter Mulbjerg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread color suggestions - dark green/olive CTS blank
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 29, 2005 06:38AM

I've always thought that green and gold, or green and copper looked good together.

Bruce

Posted by: David Smith (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 07:30AM

I had one of the dark green blanks and had the same dilemma. So I tried a slew of combinations and took it fishing. The one that seemed to fit the rod the best was a Deep Cobalt Blue with Silver Metallic trim in the middle of the wrap and in between the two legged guides. Guides were gunsmoke with dark rings. Second most attractive (I thought) was the Cobalt wraps with a Bright Kelly green trim middle of the wrap and between the two legs of the guides. Most commented on though was a copper wrap with gold metallic trims.
David Smith
Neophyte builder / phorum lurker

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 08:06AM

Angler's Workshop has a custom color thread, Evergreen # 807, that is a dark Hunter green. WL4AR807 would be the catalog number.
A dark brown with copper trim should also look nice I think.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 09:55AM

How about Candy Apple Red without CP and copper trim bands? The CAR turns a dark burgundy without CP.

Posted by: Joe Hart (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 11:46AM

Kind of off the subject of thread colors, but where did you get the CTS blank and how does it feel/look? I have been considering these but have yet to see one firsthand.

Thanks, J.M. Hart

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 11:55AM

I built a rod last year - green blank - used Gudebrod dark brown guide wraps with metallic copper trim wraps - looks pretty snazzy.

Pete Kornegay

Date: March 29, 2005 02:04PM

Thanks for all your suggestions - I'll give them all a try and see what I like best.

Joe,
I got the CTS blank through the danish distributor UssingBech - special order since its an 11 foot 5 weight 4 piece.
It's very well made and straight as an arrow - and because of a slight delay in delivery they send along a spare tip section.

I have nothing similar to compare it to so I'd rather not get into how it feels.

I think you can contact Mr. Meiser - he has had some dealings with CTS.

Peter

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 03:27PM

Metallic copper......Wow.

Keith

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 05:37PM

Garnet with no CP trimmed with metalic lime green. Did this a little while back and it was an excellent combo. Have also built the dark green CTS. Beautiful blanks!

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.nas6.chicago4.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 06:15PM

Rust in nylon trimmed in Sunburst nylon-no cp

Date: March 30, 2005 12:57AM

Thanks to the last posters as well - interesting suggestions I think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster