I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What about the new Cortland lines - Sylk and Precision?
Posted by: Bradley Goeltz (---.247.101.223.gha.mi.chartermi.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 08:35PM

Anybody had a chance to form an opinion about the new Cortland Sylk fly line? Or how about the Precision line (the one that comes in "half weights")?

I'm considering lines for a 3 wt 7'6" Tiger Eye and an 4 wt 8' St. Croix Legend Ultra (the old kind), both with Fuji Alconites.

I understand the Sylk line is very supple and has a small diameter (all the better for those ceramic rings). On the other hand, I believe that the Tiger Eye CC's out at around a 3.8 and the StC LU at around 4.6 -- seems like a 3.5 and a 4.5 line Precision line would be great.

Any idea whether the Sylk line gets too limp unless very cold? Or about the overall quality of the Precision line?

As always, thanks in advance for the great advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What about the new Cortland lines - Sylk and Precision?
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 04:09AM

I cannot offer any info on the lines you mention. I will say that it may take a few months before any reviews will be accurate on a new line as it takes time for problems to show up. Case in point is the new Orvis Wonderline Advantage. I was impressed with the early hype about this series until I read a review last week. A Pro Guide noted how the Floating lines had started to sink aftre a few outings. according to him the company had left out a critical coating during production. Granted that is just one review but, until I learn more and am convinced that the problem (if real) has been fixed, I willl be steering clear of Wonderline Advantage. So I suggest giving a new fly line some time before expecting a true evaluation. There aer plenty of tried and true fly lines out there..just make sure you are getting fresh stock.
Dave

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 07:21AM

I have used the orvis line and found it to be to Stiff. Held pig tails. The cortland 444 lazer line is nice The cort land 555 I think is also stiff.
I think the Half Line weights are unnessary

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.138.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 08:11AM

I also had a couple of floating Wonderlines that sank , the same explanation was given to me from the dealer . 3 different lines , same wt...........all didn't float, switched to a cheap 333. I just lined up an XXD that I'll give a whirl today . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: David Nyberg (---.cbe.md.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:43PM

Hello,

People seem to love the sylk line for bamboo. It is thin and works well with a soft action.
Don't know anything about the other one.

Dave N

Posted by: John Gertz (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:44PM

I haven't used the new Cortland lines, but don't happen to think a half weight is really needed. I use mostly med-fast rods and I don't think I'd like the supple Sylk line that much, but you might? I think if you know the distances you will be fishing at and the rod you will be using you can simply move up or down a line weight to make it all work. Buying extra lines to get more versatility out of one rod is cheaper than buying more rods, albeit not as much fun. I have resorted to using several lines on one rod, and it works fine once you overcome the mental fixation on the factory line rating for the rod. I use SA Supreme 2 lines, which I think are excellent lines for the money. I do a lot of spring creek fishing and don't much care for the ivory white or bright orange factory colors, so I dye the white line with RIT dye to produce light gray lines. The dye has never harmed the line and several of my lines are going on multiple years of use. Some may diagree with this, but with a little line maintenance it has worked for me.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:56AM

I didn't notice my DT2 Sylk being particularly supple. The Sage Quiet taper seems softer. The Sylk didn't work very well on any of my graphites, but I am sure I will find a rod that it likes. The Rio Pocketwater easily outperformed it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster