I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G Loomis IMX equivalent?
Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: March 05, 2005 06:20PM

I have a friend for whom, over the last several years, I've built around a half dozen fly rods, always on 2-piece Loomis IMX blanks. He would like to switch to a 4-piece blank (for reasons too lengthy to explain here) but would like to approximate the action of the Loomis IMX as closely as possible. I have no idea what to recommend to him.

I've heard that the new Rainshadow RX8+ is an excellent fast blank and might work but I've yet to hold one in my hand. Does anyone know how it would compare with the Loomis IMX?

If that isn't a close fit what would the experts out there recommend? We're talking here about a 9-foot 6-weight.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance in plugging the holes in my obviously deficient knowledge.

Jim Kirby

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G Loomis IMX equivalent?
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2005 07:57PM

Jim,
I am not sure how the action of the Rainshadow fly rod blanks compare to the Loomis IMX but I do know how some of the Rainshadow Steelhead blanks compare. For example, I have had a Rainshadow IST1084 and a Loomis SH1084 (both are 9' two piece, 8-12lb. med/fast action) in my hands at the same time and have carefully compared them and they have almost identical actions. I have also made resonant frequency measurements on both and they were very, very close. The Rainshadow actually had a little higher resonant frequency. Both also have a matt gray finish and are almost identical in appearance.
In terms of construction they are quite different though. The Loomis IMX uses standard modulus graphite but with graphite scrim while the Rainshadow uses higher modulus graphite but with glass scrim.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 05, 2005 09:23PM

I would definitely check out the Dan Craft SIG IV and if you could deal with a 3pc instead,the SIG V.

The SIG IV is pretty close to the older IMX,only lighter in weight.It's available in multi piece blank only and I think a 4pc 6wt might be available.Price is under $120 I think.

The 3pc SIG V is pretty close in action to the older IMX blanks,maybe a touch faster,but are much faster in recovery speed and are lighter in weight.I have quite a few older IMX rods,and numerous SIG V's and prefer the performance of the SIG V hands down.These are exceptional blanks for the dollar(under $100 for a 6wt)

Another option is the St Croix SCIV.Some of them are pretty close in AA and ERN,plus they are a very light weight blank.The overall feel can be quite similar if you find one with a AA in the low 60's to mid 60's or so,which is what most of the older IMX seem to be measured at.Many of the SC IV's come in closer to 70 though which would make them a faster action so it would pay to ask around ahead of time and see if someone could CC a blank for you and find something more in the medium fast action range if that is what you are looking for.

Some of the All Star Austin's CC in the same neighborhood as the older IMX's as well and these are also great blanks.They are definitely heavier in weight than the others,but no less impressive in performance.Very crisp and powerful.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2005 03:51AM by Tony Dowson.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:05AM

Jim,
I guess I think a lot like Tony, when I saw your post the two blanks that came to my mind were the older SCIV St Croix and the All Star Austin blanks. The IMX blanks are a little lighter in weight than the Austins I think, but the All Star blanks have a very good durability, blank straightness, appearance & performance history.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 10:06AM

The CCS data chart supports the information that you have been given. The action of the two piece IMX blanks is very similar to the Dan Craft Sig V and both blanks have good power. The Sig V's however are 3 piece blanks. The ST Croix IV blanks are slightly faster in action as an average but are very similar in handling.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 11:01AM

Thanks guys. I'll report your suggestions to my friend.

I talked with a Shakespeare rep the other day and was told that All Star will no longer be a source for rod blanks so I guess the Austins are out of the picture.

I'll try to get ahold of Dan Craft tomorrow. I've never built on his blanks and my Macintosh computer doesn't seem to like his catalog format. Perhaps that is the way to go.........with a fallback to the St. Croix.

Posted by: Mark (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 10:12AM

I recently ordered a DC blank from here:

[www.rockymountainrodbuilding.com]

It has blank specs on FT, SiGIII, IV, and V.... and Rainshadow.

good luck!
Mark

G

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster