I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crankbait rod
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 03:15PM

Need suggestions/opinions for a 7' Fiberglass blank for a Bass crankbait casting rod that won't break the blank. Any opinion on the St. Croix SC! Crankbait blank.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankbait rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 04:07PM

Mike,
The Seeker FS-706-S, S Glass, is a very popular blank among tournament fisherman. Bingham Ent. and Anglers Workshop both have them on special for about the same prices. The standard FS Seeker blanks are E Glass, so they are a special order and are normally about $10 dollars more. Another S Glass is the Lamiglas SSP 845, they are very similar in action, but the Lamiglas is more expensive. I have a St Croix SC1 7 ft medium also, it's a little firmer tipped, more moderate actioned blank. Again it was more expensive. Weight wise I think they are all pretty close.

Spencer

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: March 05, 2005 04:11PM

Have not used the sc fiberglass blank. If he will go for a graphite I can recommend a blank that I have built crankbaits rods on for 1/4-5/8oz cranks (they also make good spinnerbait rods and can be used for both).

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: March 05, 2005 04:14PM

forgot to post blank ID: Cascade ISP783
Dan Grulke

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 06:06PM

Mike,

I like popping rod blanks for crank baits. 843's for the small stuff, 844's for the kinda big baits, and 845's for like DB22's and other big baits. You have a nice tip on them along with reserve power in the mid section and butt, plus to me they just feel like they weigh about half the weight of the glass models. This makes a big difference in a day of slinging the big hard pulling crank baitsand reduces the number of Advils that it will take to go to sleep that night.

You might want to see if Andy Dear has any left from Charlotte.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dsl.fyvlar.swbell.net)
Date: March 05, 2005 06:21PM

Mike-

I have built several of the SCI St. Croix crankbait rods and really like them. For a fiberglass blank, they are very light and it appears to me this is due to the design - they have relatively thin walls (thinner than almost all the graphite blanks in my shop) and relatively large diameters all the way out to the tip. This doesn't bother me as you are sort of going to get a larger diameter with fiberglass anyway, but in my experience some people think the rods are heavy because they LOOK heavy (large diameter all the way out to the tip). In point of fact, they are relatively light on the scale but you know how perception goes. These blanks look fairly modern with their matte blue finish. They are relatively inexpensive blanks so they'd probably make the 'don't break the bank' category. I have never had one break / fail.

The Lamiglas blanks - the SSP845 in particular - are the best fiberglass rods I have ever built. They make phenomenal topwater, crankbait, and spinnerbait rods in my opinion. You just have to vary the power. They are very sensitive for glass rods and if it weren't for the honey yellow / caramel color (they have switched a few times over the years) you might mistake them for graphite. The 7' blanks do have pretty large butt diameters, but they balance nice, have normal size tips, and are just great fishing tools. Unfortunately, they are more expensive than many graphite rods. To me, they are well worth it but that's sort of up to you. I have never had one fail and I've never had a customer anything less than extremely pleased with these blanks. I doubt you'd regret buying one.

I hear great things about the Seeker blanks but have never actually built or fished one so I can't comment. For what it's worth, light topwater/crankbait rods were my obsession a few years ago and I also built several (maybe 18?) graphite blanks in addition to these fiberglass blanks. If you are interested in any of those I'd be happy to share my two cents. Just email me directly. I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Bill

Posted by: stan mclean (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 03:57PM

the best one i have found is the @#$%&-706 seeker s-glass. karen at bingham has them on sale in the bargin basement for a really good price. good luck.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 04:31PM

Thanks, Guys! That will give him some options.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster