I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Has anyone tried this?
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 04, 2005 07:31AM

Well, my first rod building project is underway! I'm building a 12' heavy-duty surf casting rod, and am almost ready to start wrapping the guides. Last night I positioned the guides on the blank (masking tape) along with the reel, ran the line through, clamped the rod in the trusty workmate, and then took a pretty good tension on the line to check guide placement. After some repositioning and adjustment I was happy with the results. I then took the reel off, and set the rod back in my wrapping stand with the guides facing up. While sighting down the guides again (by eye) it hit me! Why not put something through the guides that will assure proper alignment? I found an old aluminum arrow blank (from my archery day's) and passed it through the first two guides starting at the butt-end. I could see slight misalignment very easily when looking directly over the blank, so I continued passing the arrow shaft down the blank, through the guides, tweaking each one as I went and by the time I reached the tip top the guides were laser straight. This also shows you any guide twist alignment problems. I plan on putting this method to use as soon as I wrap the guides in place (still waiting on some parts) but it looks promising. I'm aware that on guides smaller than a number 12, this arrow technique won't help, I just thought someone may have a similar technique or could benefit from this. What do you guy's think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone tried this?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.153.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 07:59AM

What about some brightly colored fly line?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2005 08:34AM

This was covered in an earlier issue of RodMaker. I suggested, as Bill just has, a heavy, brightly colored fly line strung from reel centerline to tip top ring.

Date: March 04, 2005 08:50AM

Works great for a spiral wrap?? Static test for guide placement

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 09:17AM

Bruce,
There are two different points of view about guide allignment. The first, and probably the most common, is to line the guides up straight relative to each other as you have done. The second point of view is that the guides should be lined up relative to the blank. Because blanks are not perfectly straight this second approach will not necessarily end up with the guides perfectly straight relative to each other.
I think that the first approach, like you have used, will end up with the best line flow through the guides but the second approach will end up with less stress on the blank, less torque.

Date: March 04, 2005 09:21AM

What I do is as each guide is being wraped, I use the blank, then after it is wraped I take it off the wrapper and look though each guide to give them that little extra tweak

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2005 09:23AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 09:30AM

bruce,
You might try a laser tool such as a straight line tool, line it up on your blank and it will cast a light down the blank. Any place you place an eye or interrupt the light with your hand will show you the alignment of the blank. Mine is flat on the bottom and I set it on the top of the power rod motor and line up on my blank when it is clamped in the chuck.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 04, 2005 09:35AM

I see your point Emory! The initial line-up was done with 50lb line going through the guides, and my eyesight not being what it once was, made this harder than I thought it would be. I'm going to get some fly line and probably use both techniques once I wrap the guides. Providing the blank is straight (this one looks pretty straight to me) using one method to verify the other should work out pretty well.

Date: March 04, 2005 09:40AM

Check Neals on that fly line

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster