I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS data on new SCIV fly models
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 04, 2005 08:56AM

I have built the 4F793.4 and 4F804.4 and have been real impressed. Much better in my opinion than the older pre-IPC multi-piece rods which to me felt kind of clunky (technical term). Has anyone else been building new SCIV fly blanks? I keep expecting to see the database fill up with numbers since the SCIV used to be very popular but it hasn't happened. My question is are any of you fly rod buiders or fly blank dealers sitting on any CCS data you could share? Or is the answer that the SCIV is not popular anymore? I am particularly interested in seeing the numbers for the new 2 pc. models in 904, 905, and 906 but anything in that series would be good to see.

If the builders aren't doing it, and St. Croix isn't doing it, how about one of you big St. Croix dealers, like Custom Tackle or Richards or Bingham or Hook and Hackle, why don't you guys do it?? I know you all are busy but it would only take you about an hour or two to do the whole series and e-mail the numbers to Bob Hesser. Please. Pretty please. I guarantee if one of you will do it, you will sell more of these blanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS data on new SCIV fly models
Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: March 04, 2005 11:12AM

Did you fall off the wagon already Steve? That didn't take long...

Date: March 04, 2005 11:28AM

I should know better than to make rediculous resolutions in public. Last week's "I'm going to try to do way less rodbuilding" resolution was the statement of a self-loathing addict. I'm ashamed, what can I say. But, who's kidding who. Now that I'm involved in this hobby, the chances of me "backing-off" are just about nil unless I have some hideous accident that rips my arms off. So, with that in mind, my new resolution is to stay away from farm equipment and commercial fishing gear.

About this post, I prefer not to spend $150 on a blank without knowing a little bit more about it than just how long it is and what color it is. It's one thing to buy inexpensive Forecast blanks out of curiosity but when you spend 10 times the money I like to have more information first.

Posted by: D. Rob Grider (---.digitalgroup.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 11:41AM

Yea, what happened to those four moderate action rods that were to be overlined. Ha, like Lay's potato chips, I knew you couldn't just stop at one.

Date: March 04, 2005 11:46AM

Uh....I guess someone must have posted using my name. You know, to embarass me and make me look like a fool.

Now I know why Matt Davis signs off "better to have and not need than to need and not have". He has obviously reached a level of honesty and maturity in dealing with his addiction that I have yet to achieve.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: March 04, 2005 12:26PM

Steve. Not to worry, I didn't believe you in the first place! My latest rationalization is that I am really just collecting materials for several years worth of projects, not just for the next 2 months. No addicition without angst.

Date: March 04, 2005 12:33PM

Yeah, I tried to give up homebrewing a few times too, and even it's primary product. What a joke that was. By the time of my death, my basement is going to be nothing but bottles, kegs, and graphite. I'll be 40 this summer. If I can fend off liver failure and sensitivity to epoxy for 4 or 5 more decades, this could get pretty ugly before it's all over.

Posted by: James Smith (---.d16988.dial.xtelegent.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 12:48AM

I second what Steve said in his opening post. I dont build any more rods than I personally need, but found the CCS data very, very helpful in knowing I made a well informed choice,and... I have gravitated towards St. Croix blanks. I'd love to see more abut how they stack up before I buy one. Yes, I could run through the tasks, and produce my own data, but that is only after I bought the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster