I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

feather inlay problem
Posted by: mark gallihugh (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:25AM

l put down feathers on a blank today with 50\50 cp. T hey were pheasant feathers .they laid down real nice but when they dried the barbels[i think thats what they call them]all pulled apart and had to tear them all off. Anybody ever have the problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feather inlay problem
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:05AM

Hi Mark, I've only had this problem when I've played around a little to much trying to get them as perfect as possible. Get them down and into position and then leave them alone until dry. When you first start, apply only one at a time and leave it to dry. If you start applyng too many you can end up with a sticky horrible mess. I've been there!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:06AM

Hi, Mark, I'm a dummy that doesn't know what a barbel is at all, but I've put some feathers down with CP a time or two. Were these giving you a bit of trouble before you put the CP on them? I've had troubles with them splitting but it also was split before I applied the CP. I pretty much had to hold them in place until the CP dried with a dental pick when this happened. If they dried in that split position, I just added a bit of alcohol on a brush and went back over them, then held the edges down until dry. Sometimes they still had a tad of a split when done, but not bad for the human eye (dog gone camera catches it, though!).

I don't quite go 50/50 on the mix and my CP is VERY thick to start with...

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.237.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 08:22AM

Try giving the feathers a wash in warm water

Posted by: Steven Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:12AM

I have never done a feather inlay. I like many of the pictures and I would like to try it . So what is the other 50%? Water? Thanks Steve

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:27AM

The other 50% depends on the CP you use. If you use Flex Coat then it's water, if you use Gudebrod, its alcohol. It all depends on what the manufacturer says to thin it with.

Posted by: Bob Hughes (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:47AM

Don't thin the cp. Try wrapping the errant "barbies" with thread and just enough tension to hold them in place. I usually space the wraps about 1/8th inch, and wrap the entire feather. When the cp dries remove the thread.

Enjoy,
Bob

Date: March 03, 2005 01:15PM

Thanks for the information. I"m going to head out to put it to good use.Maybe I can keep from pulling my hair out today Mark

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:42PM

Couple of things I do that work well for me
I keep a little stem on the feather just to hold it.
Wash them to get junk off.
Thicken the CP maybe only 20% or less, I found full streagh it tends to whiten
I scoff the blank with a fine pad for a little grip.
After I lay the feather on and it is in place, I heat " lightly " with a low hair drier to set the CP, then it is in place
Hope this helps

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:40PM

I dilute 811 CP with isoproal about 30% , wet the area on the blank where you want the feather , and lay it in using the stem that Bill mentioned . It's a good idea to wash the feathers before , I let them dry before I use them ,(if I wash them at all). While the feather is lying in the wet CP you can move it around a bit with a stiff , small brush .The little stem can be trimmed after everything is dry ( it usualy is sticking up anyhow ) . I have never tried the hair dryer on inlays , but it sounds like it sounds like it could work out nicely.........thanks Bill . Have fun , JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.111.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:50PM

The hair dryer just speeds up the setting so you don't have to baby sit it to long, Also for adding more feathers

Date: March 04, 2005 10:11PM

Thanks again,You guys are a wealth of information Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster