I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying chuck
Posted by: Bob Wheeler (---.sprintlink.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 01:17PM

I am in the process of making my own drying motor set up for use on drying. I am also trying to keep this to an inexpensive project since I will only be using it occasionally (I have thought about purchasing the components, but would rather have the satisfaction of building my own). My problem is with the chuck. I am planning on using a BBQ rotisserie motor I have and using a PVC end cap as the chuck housing. I am having a hard time figuring out how to attach the PVC to the 5/16" square stock that is needed in couple with the motor. I am probably making this more difficult than it is, but I cannot see the simple method. Should I maybe use something else instead of PVC? I looked through the galleries, and see the ideas, but can't tell from the pictures the details I think I am needing. Any help would be appreciated.
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying chuck
Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 01:53PM

bob I have done numerous ones in this method, and I just drill a hole the same size in the pvc cap, and press the pvc cap on the shaft and use rod bond and have yet ot have one let loose. good luck

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 02:53PM

one of my first Dryers was a BBQ motor carved a wood dowel to fit the hole used a couple nuts and Epoxy to hold PVC cap

Posted by: Joe Barnett (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 04:27PM

I drilled a hole in the pvc then rod bonded a plastic sheetrock / wall anchor big enough to insert the motor shaft in the hole. That gave me a longer "arbor" to fit over the shaft. Probably not needed but I then drilled a hole through the shaft and wall anchor and put a cotter pin in. That way it is easy to remove the chuck if you ever need to replace the motor.....

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.0.120.136.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:59PM

Drill out and tap the shaft for a sheet metal screw. Buy a 2" diameter PVC cap with a flat surface (not domed). Drill a hole through the center of the cap, and screw in place (with a flat washer if needed). I get the 2" flat PVC caps at Sears Hardware. Can't find them at Home Depot or Lowe's. Theirs are all domed. Good luck.

Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:10PM

I drilled a 3/8 hole in the center of the PVC cap. Now, take a 3/8 bolt (about 2" long)and drop a "toothed" washer down the shaft. Now drop the bold and washer into the cap hole from the inside going out. Now add another toothed washer and a nut and tighten everything together. The toothed washers bite into the PVC. Now you need to get the 3/8 bolt into the square shaft of the BBQ motor. Take a flat file and file the end of the bolt square till it fits (forcefully) into the square shaft.
I have a couple made this way and they have worked for 25 years.

Posted by: Non Wheeler (---.sprintlink.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:25PM

I want to thank everyone for helping me on this one. I was able to make the chuck using the PVC cap and using a piece of 5/16 key stock that I had one of our mechanics here at work press into the cap after drilling of course. I havne;t tried it yetm but it looks sturdy enough to spin a rod. I think I will add a bit of epoxy to it just to make sure.

Bob

Posted by: Jesse Johnson (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 03:57AM

Hey use a piece of fome from a rod. cut it on both sides 3/4 of the way down to that u have like a duck bill.
then u take the end u didnt cut and tighten it down on your motor. Now all u need is a rode strap. Put the rod in the duck bill u just made and tighten down with the rod strap
works so well would recomend it greatly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster