I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What causes the little edge ridges with Permagloss?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 12:42PM

Sunday was my first attempt with Permagloss. I must say, I won't have to pluck any nose hairs for a while, the permagloss singed them all off! Normally when I use Flex Coat, my first thin coat covers only to the ends of the wrap, I would fill the fillet between the wrap and the blank with the second coat. I did it this way also with Permagloss but after 4 coats, I have these little ridges forming at the ends of the wraps.

I'm thinking had I started to fill the fillet on the second coat, the end thread wouldn't have "wicked" the finish and held it on the edge - sort of like filling a glass with water and the top surface of the water is actually higher than the edge of the glass. I'm not sure what this phenomenon is called but is this the reason for these little edge ridges? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What causes the little edge ridges with Permagloss?
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 03:27PM

I have also noticed this phenomena with Klass Kote, another very thin (and less odorous) finish. My solution is to just fill the wraps with 2 thin coats of finish, and then let the finish thicken a bit for the final coat and fillet. I think the viscosity of the finish has a lot to do with the success of the fillet/taper onto the blank.

Re: What causes the little edge ridges with Permagloss?
Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:19AM

Hello Tom
I think what is happening is due to the wicking effect of the fast evaporating solvent in PemaGloss and your uncovered thread quality and or left on fuzzies. What happened is the fast curing action of the solvents evaporating builds up solids on the threads edges (fuzzies). This results in little "ridges" forming.
A possible way to get rid of them is to thinnly coat this edges then allow this coating to cure. Then trim them off uniformily with a very sharp scapel. Then finish the entire thread coating by adding more thin coats.
Not using thin enough coats probably also contributed to the problem. The key to this finish is putting on the first coat so that ALL the thread are covered and saturated. With a a first coating that covers the threads and no more you will have to look very close to see the edge of the PermaGloss on the rod as the covering is built up apply THIN coats.
Consider practicing on some samples to perfect finish technique before doing it on a to be delivered rod.
Hope this helps.
Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster