I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite fly blank? Poll?
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:14AM

Just curious as to what are different builders favorite fly blanks and why.
I have built 3 fly rods so far and am working on my fourth. A pac bay traditional, a forecast, and a H&H IM6. I am currently building a 2nd forecast. I like them all but like the pac bay tradition the best. It was my first rod on which I have since rewrapped the guides (my first wraps were pretty sloppy). I also really like the forecast (built for my son) and it is an outstanding value for the $$. I do like the H&H IM6 but it seems a little heavier (or maybe just tip heavy?) and the action doesn't seem as forgiving and smooth as the other 2. Does anyone else really like the pac bay tradition? Mine is a wonderful rod (8.5 ft 5 wt) capable of casting either weighted streamers or tiny dries with ease. I really like the struble reel seat I picked also.
I am also interested in the rainshadow, rainforest, cabelas SLI, and st. croix SCIII blank lines.
So many to try and so little time. Or as my wife says - how many fly rods do you need? Plan to start building for friends now that my skills are somewhat up to the task.
love this forum and the information and camraderie found here.

Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite fly blank? Poll?
Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 10:24AM

The correct amswer to your wife's question is: "Just one more, dear." Use with caution. My ex did not think it amusing.

Dan Craft Signature V for trout and one-handed steelhead rods. I'm still looking for a favorite saltwater rod blank.

Posted by: Joe Borawski (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 10:37AM

Tough question....I'd probably say St. Croix.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 10:49AM

Favorite saltwater (was) Austin All-Star (sigh). I just finished an American Tackle model H-ISA1026 though that is a very close match. This rod is a true 10/11 and may well become my favorite for saltwater. I'm bringing it to Charlotte for folks to take to the casting pond -- if you can wait for Charlotte you'll have hundreds (?thousands?) of choices.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 11:01AM

Also look at the Tiger-eye blanks. They're inexpensive and make sweet rods. Available from Neal's or Scheider's, distributed by Sevier if you're wholesale. I like the Lamiglas Perigee's and XMG50's for upper end rods.

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: February 13, 2005 11:16AM

American Tackle's Elite AND Heritage Series, by far....

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 12:04PM

For Trout....

The Dan Craft Sig. V 8'4 3 pc 4 wt.........As good as it gets. Well better, mabe.

Keith

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.51.64.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 12:13PM

So many great ones and without slighting any of them, the rod I use the most and would save if I had to go down to one is the St. Croix SCIV 8'6" 4wt. 2pc.

Posted by: joe klepeis (---.sj3.marketscore.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 12:28PM

for fishing the yough in pa. and md. i go with lamiglas esprit for steelhead at erie i go with scott for small streams in pa. and md.i go with st. croix forecast tigereye.
joe.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 01:49PM

For small water the Dan Craft Sig. III 8' 2 pc 2 wt, for other fresh water the Dan Craft FT 9' 4 pc 5 wt. Also have a Dan Craft FT 10' 4 pc 10 wt built as a switch rod, haven't fished it yet, waitnig for spring salmon, but it will easily cast 80 to 100 ft single or double handed.

Bob

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 02:40PM

Still looking for it.

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.)
Date: February 13, 2005 05:25PM

My vote goes to the Dan Craft Sig. V and FT series. In my opinion I believe they are the best cost/performance blank on the market bar none.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 05:53PM

Thanks. Interesting comments. I had not thought of the tiger eye and dan craft blanks. 2 others to try. The wife will be thrilled. LOL.
Greg

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 05:21AM

If I took the price completely out of the equation then there are LOTS of blanks that I really like alot.Too many to list really and I couldn't really say which I like best because each has it's benefits.From my favorite medium action blanks like the Scott G and Diamondback Classic,to rocket launchers like the GLX and XP,I love them all equally,but for different reasons.

But,if I consider the cost and shear performance,and then compare them all,one blank stands head and shoulders above all others for performance for the dollar and that is the Dan Craft SIG V.It's not a good blank for the buck,it's an EXCEPTIONAL,high performance,ultra light weight blank that is a flat out steal compared to most blanks of similar performance.

Posted by: jon erbacher (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:32PM

i like my dan craft FT 9 ft 4wt i was looking at a 9 ft 5 wt TCR and they felt very similar the FT a bit faster maybe but ididnt get to cast the TCR

Posted by: Balazs Klimo (---.b.pppool.de)
Date: March 09, 2005 05:10AM

Hi over there!

Has anyone experience with the blanks ATC Heritage 862, or Shikäri SHX PF 86-2 ?
Looking for a light, crisp approx. 8` 2wt 2 or 3 pc blank.
Thank You, B.Klimo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster