I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can US DVDs be seen in European TVs?
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 02:58PM

Has some European guy bought one of these DVDs (Ken Preston's one)?. Can you watch it on European TV/DVD system? And in a computer?. You know, I think DVDs has a key code depending on geographical areas...

I'd like also get Doc Ski "Advanced weaving" but I'm afraid VHS cannot be seen in Eurpoean system. Does anyone knows if is there any DVD or AVI/MPG version?.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2005 03:02PM by Daniel Rotea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can US DVDs be seen in European TVs?
Posted by: Doug Cox (---.neonova.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 03:09PM

Ken's dvd is most likely a R-1

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 29, 2005 05:27PM

Daniel, what DVD region are you. Are you region 2 like the UK. Most DVD players coming out of Asia now are multi region. I have played Ken's DVD's on about 30 or so different DVD players here in Australia for him and they all played it even the region controlled one, looking at the disc I think he has produced the DVD with no region control. And if your DVD set up with your tv is region controlled, Try your computer DVD/CD ROM player .

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-43-126.telecom.net.ar)
Date: January 29, 2005 05:31PM

I believe the only way is to have a MULTI-ZONE DVD player with ALL video format decoders, included the old versions, and automathic TRINORMA adapter for that TV, or having this chip in the TV it self (I am talking about NTSC to PAL-N PAL-M). It is much easier to have this "problem" solved if the DVD is played in a Computer with Windows XP, and a DVD player with its own manufacturer program or a powerfull DVD player tool such as the latest version of NERO.

I hope this helps.

If You have any data on the manufacturer of the DVD player, check its website and search for specifications. Most websites are extremelly helful, with detailed descriptions of what You can and cannot play, and how to´s!!!

Let us know.

Posted by: Martin E. Morris (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2005 01:49AM

Hi Daniel,
Most latest dvd players are multi region, but even if yours is solely for the UK market it can be programmed to accept other region DVD's. There is a web site that gives you a code to enable any particular player to accept all region discs, don't remember the site address, will do a search for it.
I have a few DVD's from the USA and they all play in my unit.
Martin E.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 10:49AM

There is no "region control" on the DVD. I sent some to Europe, Australia, Japan. The older players "insisted" on regions. Any DVD player made in the last 3 years will play the DVD. There is no "encoding" issue with a DVD as the player is looking at electronic "bits" of encoded data and spitting them out in the format your TV / Computer expects to see. Of all the "test" DVD's I sent out Myles was the most comprehensive summary . I don't think he found a DVD player that would NOT work. I don't know about Andy Dear's DVD - it would depend on how he produced it and who/how the replication is done however, I suspect that his too will play anywhere.

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-82-80.telecom.net.ar)
Date: January 30, 2005 03:12PM

Ken; You are right, at least for the %95 of the new DVD player. But remember, not everbody has a "new" DVD player, and there is this Trinorma Issue if wanted to be played in a regular TV (not PC) Pal (N-M) and NTSC convertion.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 30, 2005 05:11PM

Adolfito, When I did the checks for Ken, I tested his DVD on the old region controlled players as well. I tested it on PAL and NTSC/PAL TV's I couldn't get it not to work. I tried using all different set-ups optical,coxial,AV and scart they all worked, the next question does a DVD player put out NTSC/PAL signal havn't been able to find someone to answer that one.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 05:57AM

The DVD player reads the encoded bits and puts out a picture in the format that is compatable with your TV. This is different than VHS tapes. VHS tapes are encoded in NTSC / PAL / SECAM . DVD's when the bits are layed on the surface are "neutral" to encoding it's left up to the player to provide the correct output. The original DVD (and the new one) are both "neutral". This was a conscious decision ... The "impact" is that not quite as much time can be put onto the DVD as the sampling rates are "unaccounted for" (all are possible) -- at least that's what the folks that did the burning tried to 'splain to me

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-43-88.telecom.net.ar)
Date: January 31, 2005 08:54AM

Ken;

I am glad to know that, cause it means things will be easier now, for all !!! Now that DVD is getting ahead of VHS (and others) this digital Era will be "universal". It was confusing with all the other color systems before, it is still for some of us that keep old equipment.

Great videos You make!!!

Adolfito.

Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 31, 2005 10:48AM

Hi everybody,

I've just ordered mine. I'm sure my expectatives will be covered!

Thanks, guys,

Daniel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster