I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color protector on metallic thread?
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 03:01PM

I imagin this is a silly question but, must color protector be applied over metallic thread (I mean in a wrap made only with metallic thread) or just if there is any "non protected" nylon thread in the wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color protector on metallic thread?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 03:14PM

It's not necessary for color retention but on decorative wraps I always use it to "lock" the threads in place (at least where the threads cross) so they don't shift when applying epoxy.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2005 05:04PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Bob Barlas (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 03:17PM

CP will help on a metalic A underwrap. when the guide is also wrapped in A thread. The underwrap stays put while packing and burnishing the guide wrap. There is no color change on metalic with or without CP.

Bob

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 03:21PM

On a GUIDE underwrap of metallic, I'd go with a thin coat of finish before I'd use CP on it (just to help with the over wraps staying in place with no gaps). On buttwraps, either way is fine.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 03:42PM

I THOUGHT I agreed with what was said above, about no CP really needed, UNTIL I did a butt wrap where one of the threads was a light blue metallic (Sulky # 142-7044). When I put on the epoxy, there was just enough "show-through" of the underlying threads to make me wish I had used CP. The darker metallics, as well as the gold and silver, did not have this problem.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 03:50PM

The Sulky 142-7044 is a pearlescent blue and will get a bit translucent/transparent? as the pearls are designed to do. I think the pearls are normally used with an underwrapped color made to show through the pearl overwrap for special effects.

Putter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2005 03:52PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2005 04:56PM

I soak my buttwrap that are mostly made with A metallics with Flexcoat CP also to lock the threads in place prior to putting on finish. I also use A metallics alot for guide wraps but avoid using cp their as it will prevent the finish from soaking into the threads making for a weaker wrap than one without cp.

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2005 10:09PM

Madeira thread requires a coat of CP before applying finish. It has a lubricant (silicone?) because its primary use is in high speed sewing machines.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.254.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 30, 2005 09:55AM

Put at least one coat on --- even just to get rid of bubbles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster