I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Preping Fuji Titanium frame guides, anything different than usual?
Posted by: Mike Neal (---.brd.64.71.113.165.brdadsl.sktc.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:56PM

I have just got my first set of titanium framed fuji guides and I have never prepared these before. Is there any special tips or anything? I have just used a sanding disk on my dremel tool when I prepared all the other steel footed guides I have dealt with, can I use a sanding disk on the titanium also? Any help to possibly keep me from messing these high dollar guides up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preping Fuji Titanium frame guides, anything different than usual?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 11:32PM

Mike, I havent had the opportunity to prep those guides. However, if you send me a set, I'll prep them and put them on a rod and after a few years observation and critical scientific field evaluation, let you know how it worked out. Seriously, I have sanded and ground titanium for knives, and its really not much different IMO. Dremel would work fine, I would think. Ti is all about flexibility, and corrosion. Its still machinable. Respectfully, Levi

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 12:00AM

Mike...

Titanium is harder and will eat up your abrasive faster than stainless steel. The TNSG series are heavier and more forgiving when dressing the feet than the TLNSG's (concept frames).

Be careful not to be too heavy handed with the TLNSG's. For the guide foot on the double-legged side, the two legs are joined together at the very tip of the guide foot. If you get too heavy handed on that foot, the junction will fracture and the frame will spring apart.

Also, I've had the titanium concept guides fracture at the junction where the ring meets the "j" leg while dressing the feet. I have pretty much narrowed the cause of this down to vibration and harmonics.

See photo here [www.fishingphotos.net]

This occurred while sanding the feet using a disc sander on my lathe. The guides were sent to Anglers Resource, who brought them to Fuji for testing and examination. The engineers at Fuji were unable to reproduce the problem and could not find a "defect" that would explain the failure. This leads to the thought that the combination of RPM, the abrasive grit rating, and my dressing technique were just right to cause some kind of harmonics that caused those frames to fracture.

Essentially, I'm a little more careful with the TLNSG's now... I dress them using a file, which actually goes pretty quickly. For the single foots and the TNSG's, I dress them with the disc sander... they're more forgiving than the light double footed concept series of these frames.

Erik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2005 01:14AM by Erik Kunz.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 12:31AM

Tehre's a pic of what ERik describes in his first paragraph in my Gallery (Billy 40) on the Photo PAge.

I really, really wish tehy came out with TMNSG's already. And some more tip sizes for the ICMNST's

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 12:02PM

If you are using a Dremel try the Dremel chain saw sharpening stones. They come in a 2 - pack and the pink colored ones seems to work best for me. I have Dremel mounted in a Dremel drill press in the horizontal posistion which makes it easy to see and hold the guide. Set the speed at about medium and don't let the guide get hot. Be sure to wear safety glasses!!! Much faster and precise than a sanding drum.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: January 24, 2005 11:29AM

I just use regular sanding drums on my dremel. The titantium guides grind just like the stainless steel versions, except it takes a lttle more time, as they are (apparently) a harder metal. I'm not sure harder is the correct word--anyway, it just takes a little longer. The nice thing about titanium guides is that you don't have to re-color the guide feet. They're the same color ground as they are un-ground.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.sj4.marketscore.com)
Date: January 28, 2005 12:11PM

I've prepped my titanium guide feet using a bench grinder. Move quickly so as not to take off too much material and also not to overheat. Then I polish the feet with a wire wheel. When I first used these guides years ago I got too aggressive with the grinder and made several "UNPLANNED" foot shortenings and reshapings, but for the last 12 years or so, no mistakes or problems with the frames cracking or anything. Aloha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster