I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hardloy against alconite
Posted by: Ed Carr (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 09:54PM

I went to a sports show today and had a talk with a builder who was building a rod for people to see how its done. I asked how he liked the alconite guides and he said he found them to groove pretty easy and liked hardloy better because they hold up better and don't groove as easy. I've built with both and have used hardloy in fishing alot no problem with grooveing. But all the adds say alconites are a harder material. Any merit in this builders opinion.ED....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hardloy against alconite
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.65.213.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:15PM

Alconites are supposed to be the better guide rig

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:16PM

I would wonder what else he's wrong about!!! Hardaloy are good, Alconite, Zirconia, etc are better

Mike

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:24PM

You can't groove an alconite ring anymore than you can a hardloy. The guy was full of it. Alconite is harder than the Hardloy.

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:27PM

I thought as much . Just wanted to read it here. Thanks ED...

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:27PM

He most likely had one bad experience with them and assumed...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.65.213.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:29PM

Got to tell this guy about this board -- he needs an education. The zerconia rings are almost as good as the SIC rings

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2005 10:33PM

Wonder if the guy's he builds for are using exclusively braid, it can wear guides.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Neal (---.brd.64.71.113.165.brdadsl.sktc.net)
Date: January 22, 2005 11:06PM

Just my opinion but I have no clue why they even make the hardloys anymore. Alconite ring + J-Frame + new concept = no need for hardloys

go to the education section and click ring types. It says it all ; Strength - 1.8 times harder than Hardloy
[www.fujitackle.com.au]

Date: January 22, 2005 11:48PM

I prefer the Alconites/Zirconiums, etc. but the last place I would look for unbiased opinion would be at Fuji's web site. There is nothing wrong with hardaloy, hialoy, etc. They are good guides and builders probably use more of them than any other guide. You certainly don't have to use Alconites to use the Concept system. Actually, the Fuji Concept system is pretty off base and not very efficient.

Alconites are harder than Hardaloys but Hardaloys are more than adequate for even braided lines

Mike

Posted by: Mike Neal (---.brd.64.71.113.165.brdadsl.sktc.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 12:58AM

Mike, your 100% right about the refrence to the Fuji web site but I was mainly trying to state it is hard to beat the J-frame in the Alconite. The hardness I wouldn't have a clue except for what I read on here and other places. I do not use braided line so I can not comment from personal expierence on the hardness which is what Ed originally asked about.

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.204.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 08:25AM

Mike Barkley
What do you mean by the concept system is off base?? You think the cone of flight is just as good???

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 09:05AM

Isn't it funny how wrong people can be, even if they are a "professional". These guys usually know how to build a good rod, but are stuck in the shop too long nad have no clue about new technology except that it all @#$%&. And to make it better, they refuse to learn anything or listen to anyone because they've been doing it since before you were born, lol. Next time play dumb and continue to ask him questions just to see how much bad advice he gives, lol. Better yet, find one of his rods, and start asking him all sort of why - why is the epoxy 3/4 of teh way up teh guide foot? Where are the grips so thick. Why is there a puddle of epoxy on teh reel sea threads or seeping out the butt cap - why arent' teh guides straight, lol.

I've also made teh switch to ALco's. No need for Hardaloy's - forget the ring material, as it's just fine for all but hard running fish - the frame on teh Alco's has a beter grade of steel, and tehy are noticeably lighter. They are also sexy looking.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.204.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 23, 2005 09:27AM

I'm wating to here feedback on the new American Tackle Titans??
Wonder how hard the ring is compared to others

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: January 23, 2005 02:21PM

I have been running braided line over hardloy for several years and there is no problems with grooving. As a matter of fact, I have a rod that is fished hard and is over 8 years old. It has Fuji Hardloy guides on it. No problems here.

David Banaka

Date: January 24, 2005 09:33AM

Bill,

I was referring to the Concept system on the Fuji site. It's not at all like the Concept system most of us use. Check out their recommended guides/spacing! Use a chart and doesn't take in acoount, the reel or anything.

I always us the New Guide Concept system, never the Fuji Concept guide system

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.39.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 24, 2005 09:44AM

I understand that. I just thought you found some thing better???

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2005 05:39PM

Billy ---
Gee you were on a tear there weren't you? One of the things I like most about having new people participate in rod building is that they will challenge the duffers... Make people who have been "doin' this since dirt was created'" actually stop and think about why something is done the way it is. Experimentation is the life-blood of any growing craft. Learning the new is how the technology advances. I haven't seen any information yet on the Titan rings - other than the composition is proprietary and the trade name (Nanolite) is patented - however I do know that American Tackle put in some hard "build to" requirements to the manufacturer so they should be very good guides.....

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.5.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 25, 2005 07:41AM

Always looking for something better, Ken. It just costs too much money to keep experimenting?? LOL
Like those Vintage autos you got in your yard, what would be a nice custom color for one? LOL
Those Titans look like they are of a concept design, got to be the Cats Meow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster