I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Warranty Question
Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: January 19, 2005 10:51AM

I made a rod for my dad and several of his friends have seen it and loved it. They now want to hire me to make them rods, which I think is great! I want to offer a warranty, but I'm not sure if what I've written up is ok. Here it is... Tell me if I'm missing something or if it's totally whacked.

Thanks,
Jackie

Issues Covered by Warranty

All J. Pratt custom fishing rods come with a 1-Year Limited Warranty. This warranty covers craftsmanship defects. Problems with finish, wraps, guides, handles and reel seats becoming loose or disengaging from the blank are covered and will be repaired at no cost if the cause is determined to be other than abuse, neglect or misuse of the rod.

Issues Not Covered by Warranty

All problems, breaks or failures relating to the blank itself are subject to the manufacturer’s warranty. If the rod blank is found faulty by the manufacturer and a replacement blank is provided under warranty I will re-construct your rod on the new blank at 1/3 the original price.

Any damage to guides or other components through abuse such as using the guides as a grip when assembling a multi-piece rod are not covered under warranty, but can be repaired at an hourly rate.

Weathering or corrosion of components such as reel seat hardware, wood reel seat insert, or guides, is not covered by warranty. Proper care of your rod as suggested in the “Proper Rod Care Guide” will help prevent damage to your custom rod.

Rod Blank Manufacturer’s Warranty

If your rod blank or components come with a manufacturer’s warranty, a written copy of the warranty along with any documentation needed to take advantage of that warranty in event of a failure will be provided at the time of delivery of your finished rod. We cannot be held accountable for manufacturer defects in rod blanks or components, but can help you in requesting a warranty replacement from the manufacturer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Warranty Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2005 11:19AM

I think you've done a good job of covering yourself against future mis-understandings. Your warranty, as outlined above, is similar to that offered by many other custom builders I know.

Date: January 19, 2005 11:24AM

Thanks! I just figured I'd get some feedback before I start handing these out with rods. I'll also be giving them a copy of the manufacturer's warranty and a copy of the receipt from the original purchase of the blank, as well as a list of dos and don'ts for custom rods.

~ Jackie

Date: January 19, 2005 01:40PM

Do any of you other pro rod builders out there see that I'm overlooking anything with my warranty?

~ Jackie

Posted by: David Banaka (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2005 12:45PM

Looks great to me and as said, very similar to other builders warranties. You do not have to put it in however an explanation on high sticking. I also explain on my web page that if a rod is going to break due to a manufacturer defect it is going to happen within the first few trips or once the rod is loaded up. Once in a while I get a rod back that blew up on the first trip because of a manufacturer defect. I always explain to a new customer that it does happen once in a while. It has even happened to me. It was a bad batch of blanks which was corrected by the company. Again, just a suggestion. I think it gives a new customer or new fisherman a better knowledge on blank limits as well as components when it applies.

David Banaka

Date: January 20, 2005 02:12PM

In the Proper Rod Care Guide I'm also to include with the rod it explains what high sticking is and not to do it as it abuses the rod. I think that should cover it. The guidealso explains dealing with a snagged lure and how to transport, wash and wax your rod properly. Pretty basic stuff, but stuff that needs to be said to cover myself against idiots.

~Jackie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster