I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Blank/Component Recommendation for Pike Fishing
Posted by: Jim Kudej (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2005 07:15PM

I fish in Canada a couple times a year and have always used spinning gear. I would like to try fly fishing this year. We catch pike mostly in the 6 to 10 lb range and a few 12 to 16 pounders. I would be fishing 2’ - 8’ water from a boat. I would like a recommendation on a blank size and weight and components to make my own rod. I’m considering a 9’ – 9wt. rod??? Would be fishing calm/sheltered waters so wind would not be a problem. Would prefer either a 2 pc or 3 pc blank. What action should I consider, fast, moderately fast, or moderate? I would be willing to give up sensitivity and casting distance for durability. I would only be using the rod 2 weeks out of the year so would like to keep the cost of all the components in the $100 - $150 range.
Thanks for any info. Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Blank/Component Recommendation for Pike Fishing
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 08:29PM

Jim,
You might consider 3F908 should be just about ideal for your pike size and line considerations.
You could notch it up to the 9 wt. model 3F909 for the bigger flies. With the FAB-120, or similar handle kit and basic snake guides will keep you within your price budget and make you a fine pike custom fly rod.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel
St. Croix Blanks, ATC Matrix blanks and components, Glass Coat, Rod Building Supplies for the custom Rod Builder

email: info@rodreel.com

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 08:31PM

Jim , I've fished 2 times in Labradore for brookies , and pike on a lake . When we ran into the big pike we used 9' 8wts , I was using a GL2 , and a friend was using a Cabelas. Both rods worked very well for the pike we were catching , the biggest 18lbs. Check out Hook & Hackles IM 6 kits , I use a 9'9wt for blues and stripers , and it is a good blank for getting beat up on a boat , it also handles the big blues well . John

Got Fish ?

Steve Runyan
Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 09:29PM

Hi,

Specific action you want for a pike rod is fast. They have extremely hard mouths, so you need the faster action for the hook setting. Most hook setting will probably be strip setting, anyhow. 8 or 9 weight will both be fine. Don't go any lighter.. both for hook set and for casting big ugly pike streamers. Good Luck!

Posted by: Tim Bloomfield (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 10:46PM

For that size of pike, I would go for a fast action, 9ft, 8 wt. Any lighter and you have trouble casting the flies. It's definately exciting watching those pike come after that top water fly. I still jump every time it happens.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.43.247.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 02:14AM

Hi Jim,
Before retiring to the west, I fished the BWCA for pike and smallmouth bass for about ten years. Over that span Iused 9 to 9.5 foot fly rods with weight of 8 and 9. The nine weights handled the large dahlberg Divers and Bucktail Poppers the best. I did encounter widns on some of these lakes and the 9 weights worked better under windy conditions as well. My rods had either moderately fast or fast actions. Depending on what you want to spend I would look at PAC Bay or AmericanTackle for low to moderate cost blanks. I also like like single foot guides with ceramic rings in place of the snake guides--I think the line just shoots better.

Pike are so #*&#ing aggressive setting the hook was not a problem. Keeping them from shredding leaders was. I know some folks use wire leaders, but I don't like those flies coming close to my ears. I used leaders for tarpon and saltwater species. Have fun.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.storaenso.com)
Date: January 17, 2005 12:58AM

Jim,

Earlier posts mostly give you an answer for your question, but I like to underline few things. I've been hunting big pikes for couple of years now in salt and fresh water (biggest one in last season was 20lbs). First do not use long rods, my rod which I prefer to use is 8'8" Loop grren line salt #8-9, but it will cast #10 line. Not too heavy at all. Longer rod than 9ft will break you wrist. You like to have fast rod. Hooking should be done by pulling from the line rather than with rod. Then you can hook the pike for sure. That's the best way to do especially because I use barbless hooks.

Another point I have found to be effective is to use big flies made from slinky fibre from H2O products. That's material which will not take water into itself, so when casting the fly is not heavy, just big ;) If you need any further help please drop me a line and I'll send you some pics with recipes. Here's few link for you already:

Traditional slinky fibre fly [perhokalastajat.net]

Slinky tube fly [perhokalastajat.net]

This material will last many many flies so tying it on tube give you possibility to change hooks when needed....

Tight lines,

Antti Kymäläinen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster