I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

follow-up with pictures
Posted by: Joe Talotta (---.37.104.133.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 09:15PM

This is a 6" fuji speed grip model#USH built around some components that are unknown to me(fitted EVA grips maybe?). The blank is NOT a pushtrough model. It is attached to a fitting that disconnects at the top of a grip, and the butt section is threaded in a way it can be taken off . In fact, the blank itself is 5'6" alone. With the top of the 6 inch speed grip fitted to the butt , the rod is 6 feet in total length.

Here is the link to the rod: [ctfisherman.com]
[ctfisherman.com]
[ctfisherman.com]

Or you can follow my original post here: [www.ctfisherman.com]

How do I find all of these items, or would I have to build this rod with substitue parts? If that is the case, who has them because I'll buy what they have ASAP? Thanks again guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2005 09:58PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: follow-up with pictures
Posted by: Joe Talotta (---.37.104.133.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 09:25PM

Sorry, I gave the wrong email with my original post. Here is where anyone can reach me: jtalotta@sbcglobal.net.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2005 10:00PM

The rubber grips are an integral part of the USH handle. The ferrule is either an L or an NA, I can't remember. None of this stuff has been available for several years.

You would have to hope somebody has one or two lying around and I can tell you they're scarce and those who have them are rarely willing to give them up.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 02:40AM

Joe and Tom, The correct part # is LSH- 60(7") ,LSH-95 (8 1/4"), and LSH-140 (11") . I know , because back in the 70's anything Lew's was HOT in the circles of bass fishing and so was I. Rods with those handles could not be had here in NJ unless you built em' . I still have one complete rod built on an early ultra lite (1pc) Ugly Stick back in 1976. Check with Neal's or Summer Moon or some of the shops that have been around since then. Here in NJ were in flea market mode, every weekend there's one or more in some part of the state and its like going to a fishing meusem. You just dont know what you will see. I hope this nelps. Dennis

Date: January 14, 2005 09:03AM

The USH didn't require an adapter - the blank glued in directly or with the LA adapter. The LSH required the use of the A adapter. The one in the photo is a USH handle.

Posted by: Jon Aubin (65.219.232.---)
Date: January 14, 2005 11:05AM

Joe,
I read all of your posts and all I can say is sorry buddy, doesn't look like we can help you find these old parts. If these guys can't help you, they must not exist anymore. Let it go, move on and focus on finding something different for your project that's currently available here.

Is there a vendor on this site who has anything close? I'm not sure. But there is a great bunch of guys on this site who will undoubtedly help you out.

Now let's focus on finding you something that's available now that'll fit that bill. I'm a relatively new builder myself(mostly saltwater), but if I was component savy I'd have NO problem helping you find suitable replacement parts. I mean there has to be something that one of the sponsors on this site have that can help this guy build a birthday present, right?

It shouldn't be all that hard. That rod was a total length 6ft ultra light spinning rod right? Blank was 5 foot 6in, with a six inch reel seat? Figures you must be a trout guy..haha! Looks like you may have no choice but to build a "pushthrough" rod. Am I wrong guys, or is there something else this fella can use to make a shorthandled spinning rod?

As far as blanks, St Croix would be the way to go. But if you search around with the sponsors here you can probably find something that will suit your needs nicely. Let us know how you make out. Hope you get more help than what I can give you. Good luck Joe and happy building!

Posted by: Joe Talotta (65.219.232.---)
Date: January 14, 2005 12:41PM

Thanks Tom, Jon, and Dennis!!! I do appreciate the follow ups. Thanks for taking the time out to share your knowledge and help out a newbie. I realize that finding the USH handle will be darn near impossible. Guess my biggest problem now is on finding something "close" to what I want to bulid. Any tips on fabrication?

Date: January 14, 2005 04:01PM

The only thing that comes to mind, would be to take a Fuji HKC or HKE type system and modify the length to suit. That's about the closet thing I can think of to start with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster