I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot vs. snakes guides
Posted by: Gary Ellis (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 11:30AM

Good day Guys & Gals

Building a 9' 6wt fly rod and would like the pros and cons on guides
to us Single foot model SF or snake model SN, would like to us the SF.
Thks Gar

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot vs. snakes guides
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: January 12, 2005 12:26PM

Use single foot ceramics on a 6 wt....You'll be glad you did.

Keith

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2005 01:34PM

IMO single foot guides don't look right on a fly rod. I doubt you save any weight as the single foots requires a longer wrap. The thread and epoxy is where the weight is. I use short foot snakes with silk thread and varnish instead od nylon and epoxy.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 12, 2005 02:12PM

On a 6 wt I would use ceramic single foots. The only disadvantage I see is cost.
On a 6 wt I am willing to carry a little extra weight to get the smoothness and line control of the ceramics.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: January 12, 2005 02:21PM

You want single foot ceramics or single foot wire. Never double footed snakes. I would go with ceramics. Bill, at what weight to you switch to a combination of wire and ceramics, a #4?

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 12, 2005 02:36PM

1) I am not an authority

2) I have used the titanium frame SIC all the way up on a 4 wt and it worked wonderfully.

3) I have built several rods in the 3/4 wt and 2/3 wt classes using wire SF's near the top and ceramics (the cheaper one) up to there.

4) I just finished red-doing the rod I fish with the most. A 5 wt Winston LT. It was one of my first rods and I used 3 cerment strippers and snakes the rest of the way. I went back last week and took most of the snakes off and put on some Cerments I bought cheap from the For Sale on this site. But I quit with the cerments when I got to the tip section. The wire snakes seem a lot lighter than the cerments. And the LT has a very light tip.

I really like the way that rod casts now with the cerments up to the 4 snakes on the tip and a cerment tiptop.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: January 12, 2005 02:44PM

Bill. How is the cast different? I am a bit concerned that the line might want to slow down accordian style as it hit the slower wire on the shoot. Otherwise is makes sense to me and I shall have to try it.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 05:47PM

No, I don't think that happens. The "shoot" is caused by the line pulling from the front, so there is nothing much to make it accordian in the rod. It is not like a casting reel where the spool is feeding line. The cast just has to pull the line out in a fly rod. However, as I can shoot more line than I can cast well enough to straighten out, I have seen a lot of line in a pile that resembles an accordian out at the front of the cast. Being able to shoot line easier is not the only key to long casts, apparantly.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 07:28PM

I'm certainly not an authority but on the two fly rods I have recently built I used the single foot chrome wire guides. I was very pleased with the results. One of the rods was a cheap forecast blank but it really casts better than my Sage even though they are identical in length and line weight. It just seems to shoot line more smoothly. The only difference I can figure out is the single foot guides. I disagree with some others also - I think they look nice and they are certainly easier to wrap once you get that "locking Wrap" down.
Good luck!
Greg

Posted by: Gary Ellis (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 10:07PM

Thanks Guys

I 'll ty with the single foots and cast a line before i epoxy .

Cheers Gar

Posted by: Alex (---.cipherkey.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 03:28AM

I used TiGold (and blue ) zirconia ring single foot titanium carbide plated frame (Tich), guess ther should not be problem with slicking line. guids are nice looking and easy to work with, they are fine on top section, but for tip top i'd use regular Ti plated loop, large......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster