I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

inscription problems-help for a newbie
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 12:24PM

I am having all sorts of problems signing my rods. I bought a fine point pen and white ink from Jann's Netcraft. When I sign the rod I have no problems and it looks very nice - BUT when I go to put the finish over it - it always smears!
I even tried putting color preserver over it first - but that caused it to smear also. I have been waiting an hour or so - is it possible it is not dry yet?
Do most of you put color preserver over the ink first. Am I missing something?
On my last rod I finally gave up and used a silver colored Sharpie but it does not look as nice as the white ink.
Would appreciate any help.
thanks,
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: inscription problems-help for a newbie
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.74.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 12:33PM

You have to let them dry. I heat it with a hair dryer. Once then I wate 15 min. then do it again just to make sure. Put some on a piece of scrape blank and do both. This way you don't stick your finger in the one on the rod and smear it, do it to the scrap

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 12:49PM

Greg,
If you will go to your local hobby store and get one of the little bottles of acrylic paint and apply it with your dip pen I think that you will have much better luck. You can apply it and a few minutes later put epoxy over it and will not smear.

Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 02:00PM

Greg, you might want to try dabbing the c.p. onto the inscription, rather than brushing it on. Another alternative is to let it dry overnight before applying finish. Bob Vasko

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 02:46PM

Just a thought since I haven't done this yet, but you could also try a clear spray over it. Something like what others have mentioned for sealing the writing on their water slide decals with.

Mark

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 03:26PM

Get a can of Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic spray. Spray a light coat after your inscription has dried from about 10 inches away, it doesn't take much, and let it dry about an hour before applying your finish and you won't have any problem with smearing.

Bob

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 04:53PM

Thanks for all the ideas. Hopefully I'll get it right this time. I think maybe I was not allowing it to dry enough.

Greg

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 06:23PM

Bob Crook is right on; heed the word LIGHT coat in his message. Even a heavy coat of this sometimes smears the writing. A light coat will be no problem whatsoever.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 11:41PM

Hummm What I do I use a quill pen and then I take craft acrylic art pain and thin it down to where I get a nice flow from the quill. after it has dried on the rod maybe 10 min. I give it one thine coat of C/P going in one direction only. Also I take a gray Scotch Brite pad and deglaze just the area I am going to write on
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jeff Bullard (167.7.90.---)
Date: January 10, 2005 09:01AM

Greg,
I had the same problem when I tried my first signature right before Christmas. I used a Sanford Uniball Gold Gel pen. Scuffed the blank alittle where I wanted to write with a Scotch Brite pad, then went on to scribe a beautiful sig which promptly smeared like crazy as I tried to put on some CP. I wiped the whole mess off with Alcohol (had a little myself) then tried it again. This time I used a hint that I picked up on this board. After blowing it with the hair dryer for a few mins, I covered it with my wife's hair spray. Just a brief shot from about 8-10 in away and then let it dry again. It actually worked!
Sadly, my great sig is displayed from under a pretty crappy finish job, but hey... one problem at a time! Am I wrong to think that the coat of finish over a sig only needs to be thick enough to coat it and not build it up? I guess you can put it on, then wipe it off with something like a coffee filter to get the thickness you need?
See you guys in Charlotte.

Jeff

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 10:37AM

Jeff
Less is more on the inscription covers. Too much finish is real hard to get a nice, smooth surface on.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 05:38PM

I use a gel pen which, in my experience, smears if you look at it wrong. I use Artists Spray Fixatif, Krylon and Grumbacher both make the stuff. It does the same thing the Krylon Clear does, but you can more easily remove it if you want.

Posted by: Art Ingram (---.225.135.84.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: January 12, 2005 10:33AM

Greg,

I'm sort of a rookie myself, I have a terrible hand so I have chosen to use decals from Decal Connection, one of the sponsors. I think that he can even create decals using your own signature. It's an option that I have used with great success.

Art

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster