I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

u-40 cork sealant
Posted by: andre st. pierre (---.roadrunner.nf.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 11:21AM

i am wondering what the feeling is on u-40 cork sealant. anybody use it? what do they think about it?...thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: u-40 cork sealant
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 12:07PM

Does the job. Personally, I like the look of Tru Oil much better, especially on Burk!! Depending on the number of cots, you can get just about ant type of finish that you want!

Mike

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 12:09PM

I have only built a couple of rods - but I have put it on both of them and I do like it. I don't notice a difference in the feel of the cork like some people say they do. I figure if it makes the cork last longer it is worth it.
Greg

Posted by: Ryan Mayberry (---.kcmo.socket.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 12:56PM

It may work fine on white cork though I do not like the feel of it. I have also used it on burl cork grips,and I am not impressed.

Burl cork is my favorite type of cork to use on for grips, and I prefeer to use Cork Cleanz on both white and burl cork. It is a wax base, cleaner and conditioner.

Ryan

Posted by: Shai Plummer (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 02:11PM

If you do as the the instructions on the jar says and only apply one coat , it works really well , your cork wont get that slick when wet feel that i've heard many complain about , and it will make the cork easier to clean when it gets dirty . It does discolor the cork a little , but I like the richer color you get after applying it .I don't know if it adds any protection to the cork from damage , I haven't been using it long enough , but it seems to keep the fill from falling out anyway . I think you just have to try it and if you like it use it , if you don't , don't .

Shai

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 02:18PM

I've used it on literally thousands of cork grips. Put on just enough to cover the cork (I use a latex or nitrile glove to keep it off of my fingers) and then immediately wipe off the excess with a dry paper towel and set it aside to dry.
This keeps any "drops" from excess forming which are browner in color. It also makes it feel better to the hand. Too much of this changes everything; appearance AND feel.

Putter

Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 09:56PM

I like it, but it does bring out the "grain" or imperfections in the cork. I t is like finishing wood grain where the grain can stand out when the finish is applied. I liked the idea of preserving the cork

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster