I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can heat ruin unmixed finish?.. or.. Somedays the bear eats you whole
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 06:33PM

Did a spiral rod the other day and was quite happy with it. Lots of garnet with gold inlays and trim bands.

Put on the CP and everything looked great. Next day, put on the finish and it looked great. About 8 hours later I turned off the motor and examined it all. A couple of small bubbles here and there on the gold trim bands where I didn't put CP.

Here it's two days later and I was about to shave some bubbles, put on decals and throw a thin coat over everything and.... It's like somebody switched rods on me. On every wrap, the garnet is transparent in spots, opaque in others with black bands and streaks of weird shapes running through the wraps. The whole rod looks awful!

I have to strip and rewrap everything except the buttwrap which is the only thing that is fine. The only thing different I did than usual was using finish that may have gone south on me. I keep my CP and large bottles of flex coat in a wrapping tool box. It was near my fireplace that had a serious roaring fire going for two days. (it was next to the poker, which was too hot to touch with bare hands) The resin had hardened in about a 1/4" band where the air pocket was and it was extremely thick and loaded with bubbles. Against better judgement, I used it anyway.

Can prolonged heat ruin CP and/or finish before it's mixed? It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can heat ruin unmixed finish?.. or.. Somedays the bear eats you whole
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 07:30PM

The answer to this is going to be interesting; but if it was me, the finish wouldn't have even got warm- 37 below this morning. Probably would have frozen by the fireplace...

Putter

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 07:32PM

Randy, Suddenly I feel pretty warm in Mich!!!

Date: January 05, 2005 07:45PM

I gotta come up with some nicknames for you two...
Beerman (Mike) and (Mick) Dundee (or maybe Crocodile?) sounds about right!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2005 09:57PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 05, 2005 08:26PM

Come on Guy's its not that cold, Gee's its only about 100F today, off the the Gold Coast tommorrow for a week on the beach/hotel pool, once Sasha has had the baby its your turn to have a go . I will think of you all.
Mick, your sticks are doing great first 2 days extreme UV and heat 110F (in shade, test area direct sunshine 65C) now today humid as @#$%&, 100F with a bit of liquid sunshine or it might be just 100% humidity.
And you think you have problems with your expoxy, I don't even think if I sprayed a thin coat of LS on the wrap, I would still get waves, I'm about to give up. Sounds like heats your problem but what would I know, hey Putter. I'm getting that patchy problems as well, only on certain spools some are great no problems others fuzzy and patch as can be. I wonder if its just all the beer I've been drinking in this heat.

Cheers guys

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 08:52PM

I had a similar problem with LS high build. I heated it. Black stricks all over the place. I've never had this problem with the Flexcoat. Next time I will just open the window and let the fresh air in-no heat-not even in my pocket with the LS. It was 65 degress F here in the mountains of North Carolina. Hope it keeps it up. I'm going fishing tomorrow. I don't need an auger and the beer won't freeze Putter. If it snow's at the end of February we can blame Putter and Mike.

Date: January 05, 2005 09:49PM

Thanks, Ed!! Well, I guess that's why I have broad shoulders, huh??? Mike and I'll take the rap I guess...
Myles, quit mixing that barley pop in the LS; on the other hand, maybe those waves are all in your mind???

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.158.78.215.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 10:16PM

Hey Putter, at least where I am it was 68 degrees warmer and it is snowing good tonight. How does marblized snow look??

Date: January 05, 2005 10:37PM

About as bad as yellow snow, I suppose...

Posted by: Anonymous User (202.138.16.---)
Date: January 05, 2005 11:02PM

I'm starting to feel cold.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 11:23PM

Myles,

You should be glad that this is a Family-Friendly site!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 12:38AM

Hi everyone, So far all I can hear is complaints about the weather. At least Myles has all that eye candy laying about on the Gold Coast beaches. Me, I've just pulled down my shed in 100F+ temps getting ready for the pool to go in and then my "custom delux" shed with rodbuilding room overlooking the pool. By then I will deserve plenty of that amber fluid Myles has been having. Your all invited for the grand opening.
As for your finish Mick, the only thing I can suggest is a crook spool of thread. I had a spool of light green Reg A gudebrod which appeared perfect but every time I tried to use it there were dark patches appearing which were invisible until the finish was applied. I gave up and ditched it.
Hope Charlotte goes well for those of you lucky enough to attend.

Regards
Outback

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 06, 2005 02:28AM

Sounds great Mark, I hope I get an invite to the shed opening.

Cheers

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 06:00PM

I'm not as cold as the rest of you, but I'm looking forward to summer!

Mark, I thought of that too, but I would have expected it to go funky when I put on the CP (glass coat). Then again, after having a day to actually think about it like a rational person, instead of a moron with a "deer in headlights" look while staring at the rod, I think I figured it out.

First, I may have been a little stingy on the CP as I'm running low, and by not doing the trim bands, I may have not gotten as good a coverage towards the ends as I thought I did, which are very bad, and the finish got into the threads in spots, and the threads that the CP may not have penetrated completely wicked up the finish underneath the CP. Sound like a reasonable theory?

Still interested to find out if heat damages finish resins and/or hardeners in the bottles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster