I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy vs. Varnish
Posted by: Jon Tobey (---.fsea1.hawkcommunications.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 05:53PM

I'm still debating swithching to varnish, and I guess my biggest question with all the hassles I've had with epoxy is:

Is there any possible reason NOT to switch? That is, does epoxy have ANY performance advantages over varnish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy vs. Varnish
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-56-58rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 07:12PM

varnish was the finish of choice from the bamboo era through the fiberglass era (of flyrods) and some still use it for graphite. it is a nice finish but requires a little more work in my opinion. when i use it it requires many more coats than epoxy to get a finish that i like. it has to be put on in thin coats so you can't just glob on one or two coats and be done with it. three to five thin coats with adequate drying time between coats. drying time measured in days, not hours. as for performance i think it is more than adequate. once dry it is durable. if you are going to use it get a good quality marine spar vanish. mcclosky's (sp?) man o war marine spar gloss is very good.it will hold up very well. some like spar urethane. it dries faster and is quite hard. minwax brand spar urethane is good quality.
for a color preserver under varnish i am using a water based indoor polyurethane finish by Olympic. Varathane also makes a similar water based product. three coats of the water based followed by three of the spar and you have a very nice finish without any footballing. or you can go without a color preserver and do about five thin coats of varnish and get a deep transparent look to your wraps. personally i find epoxy to be easier and faster, but go to varnish when i am doing a classic.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 09:26PM

Larry,

Is there any weight difference Epoxy / Varnish??
Iv'e been thinking of giving it a try. I also just finished a 3wt with Guoid Speed Coat and I think it was a great finish. It reminded me of varnish in my woodworking day.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: January 05, 2005 09:42PM

Epoxy is actually easier to use than varnishes imo. Once you learn how to measure, mix and apply epoxy it's a snap compared to varnishing. I would suspect that it is also more durable. Weight - I see no problem using epoxy on the lightest of rods. Use the smallest of wraps and always apply two thin coats without CP.

I dip finish cane rods in varnish, that's the easiest! Draw back of varnish is the final curing time which may take months! My cane rods may hang for up to 6-8 weeks before delivery.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 10:26PM

Jon

I have switched from epoxy to using Minwax spar urethane on all the fly rods I build now. It does take a few extra coats but the ease of use, just open the can and put it on, imo far outweighs the pain of measuring and mixing epoxy. Now I have only one finish for both reel seat inserts and wraps an feather inlays.

Bob

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 10:47PM

What about the darkening of these varnishes that we all hear about?? Does it continually darken over time and get to that brownish color??
If so, what kind of time frame are we talking before it's "too brown"?

Putter

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 10:52PM

I've never used it on a rod, so I can't say but I know that anything outside that I have ever varnished has darkened considerably after exposure. Looks nice on wood but I'm not sure on thread

<ike

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.178.156.168.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 11:52PM

I think you will find that spar urethane will not darken like regular varnish, it contains uv absorbers. I have wood signs that have been outdoors for over 3 years that look like new. I also did some test wraps on wooden dowels that have been outside in the sun,snow and rain for almost a year and they have not faded or gotten darker. Here in Central Oregon the temp. ranges from below zero in the winter to 90+ in the summer. I'm really sold on the stuff, it is much like Perma Gloss but with less fumes.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 11:57PM

Bob,

Sounds good to me!!! Have to try it.

Mike

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: January 06, 2005 10:48AM

I have never seen any darkening with varnish, but then my rods don't see a lot of use. In my experience it dries very quickly, about 15 minutes of turning with a re-coat after 12 hours. My biggest complaint is its tendency to set up in the can. Even with BLOX from Golden Witch it tends to film over over time. Once more a pitch for Klass Kote epoxy paint which has the user properties of varnish and covers in 2 coats. I am currently trying to find the perfect undercoat and I will try the water based Varathane. I have been using 1 coat of spar (to preserve some color) and 2 coats of Klass Kote. All regular epoxies are too big a bother, particularly the short pot life. Klass Kote has a pot life measured in hours and less odor than Permagloss. Yesterday I used it to paint a section of blank as an experiment.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: January 06, 2005 11:23AM

I'm Over here on the Oregon coast (Hi Bob!)...

I used the same stuff as Bob for a couple of yearsw...the Min-wax spar urethane. I found it very easy to use. 5-8 very thin coats....I usually left 12 hours between coats, so I could do one in the vening and again the next morning.

It worked very well! I have changed to Flex Coat Lite because I like the look a little better...but I don't imagine there are any real performance differences.

Get some nice hair brushes (sable I think is whaqt a lot of guys prefer) and clean them after each coat in thinner or such. By a little can of the Min-wax...you'll do tons of rods with it.

I actually think the varnish is a little easier to use...but you do have the multiple coats thing. I usally put on two coats of the FC Lite anyway...and often a third if some wraps haven't turned out just right and I have to sand them down. (these are very thin coats)

You also don't have to worry about turning the rod with varnish..it is self leveling. Good luck....

Keith

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-56-58rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 01:24PM

i don't know about a weight difference, except that i tend to put on more epoxy than i do varnish. i don't think its a big deal.

Posted by: Jon Tobey (---.fsea1.hawkcommunications.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 01:55PM

"You also don't have to worry about turning the rod with varnish..it is self leveling. "
? ! What about sags?

As far as filming in the can, try an old painters' trick and store the can upside down.

Posted by: Mark Van Ditta (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:37AM

All oil-based finishes will polymerize if exposed to oxygen. The key with any oil-based finish is to remove headspace from the container before storing it. This can be done by decanting the finish into a smaller container or adding clean marbles/glass beads/BBs to the the can.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster