I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick-Lock and Cork Rings
Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 08:41PM

I am working on several fly rods which will be using a hooded fuji quick-lock grip as a fighting butt. For those who have used this method before, what is the best way to bore and attach the rings to the quick-lock tightening shaft?

I am planning on boring out the rings with a dremel, gluing up the rings with a hypolon butt plate on the shaft, then shaping the quick-lock with rings attached using a steel rod chucked in my hobby lathe.

Is there a better way to tackle this project?

Thanks in advance for any info and all the best for 2005. Ladd

And, the new Anglers Resource website is slick and useful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick-Lock and Cork Rings
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2005 08:49PM

The full procedure for doing this was outlined in an issue of RodMaker this past year. I think it was volume 6 #1 - if you have that one, haul it out and just follow the step-by-step photos.

In a nutshell, a spade bit in a fixed tailstock while the rings (you can usually do two at a time) spin in a lathe chuck usually makes quick work of the large bore. 4 1/2 inch cork rings will be just a tad longer than the quick-lock stem. So, you can bore one ring to the proper depth to fit, just to gain a little more stability on that last ring.

Glue and clamp and then install on a reel seat shimmed tight on a short mandrel. Chuck and turn to the desired shape.

You can finish off the last ring in a variety of ways - plug the hole in the last ring with an automtive trim plug, or use 3 cork rings and a cut down butt cap on the quick-lock sleeve to finish off. There are many variations here. I think the article I mentioned showed about a dozen different butts you can make on that quick-lock piece.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 09:03PM

Wish is was V6#1 because I have that one. Just checked and the article is from V5#5 which is not in my posession. From your description, however, it looks like I am on the right track, though I may use a forstner bit in a drill press to bore the rings close to size.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2005 12:21PM by Ladd Flock.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2005 10:25PM

The rings will need a 3/4" ID bore and then you can just slightly ream them the last 1/32nd or so that you will need. Don't force them onto the quic-loc sleeve because the cork will be thin and you'll split the rings.

I've done a few of these type butts after reading the Rodmaker article. I won't use any other type fighting butt now. These are just really slick and work like a charm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster