I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with Spinning Rod
Posted by: Sean Walker (---.phxinternet.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:22AM

I am working on my first spinning rod. Can't say that I like filing down that first guide very much...but that's not the real issue.

I am having a hard time placing and/or sizing the first guide. There may not be a good answer to any of these questions, but that's never stopped me before.

What size (in relation to the reel spool) should the first guide be?

How far should it be away from the spool? I am using the concept setup, but I can't seem to get the first spool located. Move it closer to the spool...line slaps. Move it farther away...line goes crazy. Neither seems to be the right solution.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with Spinning Rod
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.tnt81.chi5.da.uu.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:30AM

Sean, have you read the article in the library. Tom has got a good article there "New Guide Concept Primer". This article has helped me out alot. It will cover guide sizing and placement.

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.phxinternet.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:45AM

I have read it, but I'll read it again. Maybe I missed something.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 11:56AM

Sean,
Reread the article and search the site here and I'm sure you'll come up with the best fit.
A general guideline about reel size is to size the butt guide about half the diameter of the spool. There may also be some angle from the reel frame to need adjusting the best distances for the first guide placement.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 06, 2004 12:54PM

Sean,

Also keep in mind the line that you are using to do the setup. A limp line will give much less line slap than a stiff one. If you regularly fish stiff line, then you may need to bump up a size larger than what is suggested. The concept system works well, if you keep some things in mind. The rule of thumb for the size of the first guide is half the diameter of the spool. Personally, I like a #25 for all of my spinning rods unless I am using heavy/stiff line or a reel with minimal upsweep. If you make your setup with a #20 because it is half the diameter, but then find that your line is stiff and holds a lot of memory, then you can bump up to a #25 to help control the line. Also, the first guide is partly set by the system, partly by stress distribution, and partly by test casting. Use static distribution first to determine where you need the guide to be roughly. On blanks that are stiff in the lower half, you can eyeball it and adjust later. Next, use the concept system to figure out the guide height you need at that position to intersect the spool spindle line. Finally, put all the guides on with the system and go cast it. Adjust the position and height of the first guide to give the best casting.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: December 06, 2004 03:01PM

"Can't say that I like filing down that first guide very much..."

If you didn't like filing down the top guides (top being close to tip top) wait until you get the joy of wrapping them. Took me a while to do the little tiny ones.

Guide placement's a personnal issue - function of rod use - but Tom's got an excellent article on it.

Keep in mind wrapping the concept sytem works best with the concept guides. I've done it w/ the spinning guides, and it worked, but not quite as good as w/ concept style guides.

Good luck on the new hobby and be careful - it's addicting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster