I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

amtak IM-6 blanks-have you seen this?
Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:23AM

Good morning,

I bought two American Tackle IM-6 fly blanks model 802 (8', 5 wt) in the clear coat gloss. The glossy finish ends about 1 inch to 1 1/4" away from the end of the female end of the ferrulle and also at the butt. The butt doesn't bother me a bit, but the ferrulle does. I will either have to wrap the ferrulle at least an inch to cover the area (which is way too long IMO for this rod), or figure out how to match the finish. Has anyone else seen this, and what did you do? What could i use to match the finish without it being noticeable? Permagloss?
This is the first time i have tried the Amtak blanks, anyone have an opinion on the quality and finish?

Thanks,

Carrington Tate

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: amtak IM-6 blanks-have you seen this?
Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:38AM

Carrington,

I have done a few of those blanks and the 9' 7 wt is one of my favorite rods to cast ever. I don't remember whether the ferrules were done that way or not. Either way though, I wrap a 1" or so ferrule wrap most of the time anyway, so I probably didn't notice. I've never seen one that was crooked or that wasn't good to great.

A quick qipe with permagloss or two should do the trick for you. Use some scotchbrite to get a WBF condition and to blend the area you're covering and wipe a thin coating on and back off with a coffee filter. Should work just fine.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 12:28PM

I had done two Amtak 9' 2 piece rods earlier this year; both had finish all the way on both pieces???

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 02:09PM

It seems you had a 'second' fobbed off on you. Send it back for a replacement. Ralph

Posted by: James M. Martin (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 04:15PM

The rod may not be a second. I've ordered these blanks from Netcraft and have seen the same unfinished potion. I don't think Netcraft would be selling seconds without making it known to the customer. I have not had any problems with any of the blanks. In fact, I think they are quite good. Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to put a guide by the ferrule and combine the wrap.

James

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.139.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 04:31PM

Some companies do not apply finish on those areas they expect to be covered by handles or reinforcement wraps. What you have there is not totally uncommon.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 04:55PM

what i have learned from watching over this board is that the standard for a ferrule wrap is a length twice the diameter of the ferrule. To cover this female end of the ferrule is going to take atleast 1 inch. I'm thinking that it will look funny compared to the wraps on the small single foot ceramic guides. I emailed Joe Meehan from American Tackle. He said that i can do the wrap whatever length i wanted, then put a thin coat of epoxy on the rest of the ferrule and it would blend in with the gloss coat. What are your thoughts?

Posted by: John Dow (---.60.169.6.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 05:16PM

Joe is right , I built a 6 wt and the finish looked the same as you described . I coated the spot on the female furrel with PG and then wrapped it . I wrapped up to the end of the "matt" and covered it completly anyway , but it matched the rest of the tip section fine before I did . I liked the rod when I test casted it before I gave it to its intended owner. The price is right on those also. JD

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.bootp.Virginia.EDU)
Date: December 06, 2004 05:36PM

Carrington, try wrapping the uncoated ferrule with thread that matches the blank - Gudebrod colors such as black, charcoal, medium gray, or dark gray (Rice) may work and blend nicely when coated. I do this a lot on multi-peice rods to "hide" the ferrules.

Also, if your guide spacing allows a guide to be on or close to the ferrule, you can start your wrap with a gray, then switch to your wrapping scheme color. If a guide does not fall on the ferrule, you may want to add a guide to your set, then adjust accordingly to get a guide to sit on or near the ferrule. May be worth a try...

Best, Ladd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster