I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Tension - No Wingnuts
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 04:05PM

If you're using all thread with spring and washer, eliminate the wing nut on the end and instead use a metal spring clip, often used in offices. The type I use is a black shell with folding clips on either side to squeeze to open the clip.

Thread spool goes on, washer on outside of spool, and clip is pressed against the outer washer. Very easy to slip in place and adjust tension as necessary.

Posted a photo.

Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Tension - No Wingnuts
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 04:09PM

Nice Idea!! Thanks!!

Mike

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 06:57PM

What a neat idea - and so EASY!

Posted by: Ronnie Apple (---.wave-net.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 07:40PM

Good idea Jeff. Most of the time it is the simple things that work the best. Ronnie

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: November 26, 2004 08:02PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the post. A great, practical idea!

Stan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.210.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 26, 2004 08:48PM

I'll be damed! That puppy does not slip?? Why didn't I think of that. Can you get a good pressure from it? Thanks Jeff

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 09:20AM

No slippage at all. Getting the pressure you want is a matter of feel. I place the spring clip on the all thread and pull thread off manually to test for tension. Believe it or not, it is possible to nearly stop the spool.

The clips are available at office supply stores in packs of ten or twelve, and aren't very expensive. The one pictured is the second smallest size and is labeled No. 10020, Small. I believe my all thread is just under 1/4".

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: November 27, 2004 01:54PM

Bought some this morning and tried them out. They work great!
No more wingnuts for me. Thanks again, Jeff.

Stan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.93.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 27, 2004 02:53PM

Heck I just upgraded from 1/4" to 5/16" on my machine. Larger washers wingnuts?? O well

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster